Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MicroScale Decal Sealer-How to Airbrush?

I haven't used this before and the bottle gives no clues.

Does this stuff need thinning before airbrushing it on?

If so what should you thin it with?

What should one use to clean up the airbrush with afterwards?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Don't know about that stuff, but some time back I built a 1/72nd scale shuttle for my grandson, I made my own decals for the interior control panels using a ink jet printer. To seal the decals I sprayed a couple of light coats of Floquil Railroad Colors Crystal Cote thinned 50-50 with laquer thinner, and when I soaked the decals to remove them from the backing paper all was fine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
marc111 said:
I haven't used this before and the bottle gives no clues.

Does this stuff need thinning before airbrushing it on?

If so what should you thin it with?

What should one use to clean up the airbrush with afterwards?

Thanks,
Mark

Could you have been confused or mistaken...MicroMark or MicroScale?

The MicroMark #82276 re-branded sealer is in a rattle spray can...most suitable for decals made with an inkjet. Closest thing to it is Dullcoat. My can has a lot of toxics in it so says the cautionary lable.

The MicroScale SuperFilm as called nowadays is in a bottle. It is most likely a shellac. Sure smells like it... Can be thinned with alcohol and mayby airbrushable...I don't know it's a new formula now as I have a decade old bottle. The alcohol may be a solvent that affects inkjet inks. Drys very fast so that may not affect it at all. For the most times I use it it is with a clean synthetic brush. Never any brush marks evident. 15 minutes later your can soak the decal and apply it.

DLM

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Yoiu are correct Don. I bought it from MicroMark but it is really MicroScale Decal Film in a bottle. I may try your brush method first as it involves less cleanup than the airbrushing.

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts