Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

Again, no one has entered the Monster Hobbies Build A Monster contest.

There's 3 days until Halloween and I have bought a ton of trophies, etc for these kits.

I can't get anyone to build any of the models, so I am thinking that if you want, we'll run this contest online.

Catagories are :

MonMH1 - Out of the Box - built just like the factory made them with no additional parts used, like extra bats from another kit, for example.

MonMH2 - Concepts and one of a kind - Take the kit supplied monster, change the pose, base, and anything else to make your own creation. Kit must still be recognized as the original monster. (Dracula is Dracula, for example)

MonMH3 - Diorama - Where does your creature live? Show us by building your own Swamp, Dungeon, Castle, forrest, Lab, etc, (this is good for the Monster Scenes dioramas) and putting him in it. You can also include other monsters, like when Frankenstein met The Wolfman.
Diorama should really be something larger than just the base. Something like a 2'x2' square with 3 or 4 of the Monster Scenes kits put together with maybe DR. Deadly, Frankenstein and The Victum, or something simular in 1/8th scale. (A good example is McDougall's "Roswell 1947" further down the page.)

MonMH4 - Totally Wild - Ed Roth, Wierd-o's, etc. How wild can you get?

Just pick 1 catagory from above, 1 model (or 1 diorama) in your collection, take 3 really good pictures of it, (Let's not overload this post) and post them here. Deadline (Ha Ha) is Nov 2nd.

I'll look them over and then pick the winners and send out prizes on Nov.3rd.

Doesn't matter if you bought from me or not. I just want to have a monster contest!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Does this apply to people that live in the USA too?
Can it be a kit that has already been posted online somewhere or does it have to be a net new kit?

Thanks,
MMM

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure we'd all like to seesomething new, but if it's something old, I'll accept it too...or maybe some new pick of an oler model is fine too.

USA, Canada, Australia, Japan...basically anyone online. The winners just need to send me their Snail Mail addresses in a PM after Nov 3rd.

Like I say, it's now open to the internet!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would love to enter..

I'm entering in the "Out of the box" category:

Vintage Aurora Creature from the Black Lagoon

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome 1st entry! Now THIS is what I would have liked to see in my store...but since it isn't going to happen......

Now let's see the rest of you guys!

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Hi Trev...I have been working 12 hrs a day and haven't been able to get to your HOBBY SHOP...but I'd like to enter this Dracula kit, in the Concepts one of a kind catagory ...it's the new one by Revell ...I call it the Death of Dracula...Looks like those Psycho Villagers caught up with the old Spook and drove a Stake straight through his Heart...
Here is my take on the New Revell Dracula kit...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Cheers Mates...
Mcdee...

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Thanks Trev...Can I enter this one in the One of a kind Catagory?
I call it ROSWELL 1947...Mums the Word...

Mcdee....
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hated to hear that no one has entered your in-store contest. Wish I lived closer cause I sure would have been there. Glad that you decided to do an online contest too. I do hope that it’s okay that a beginner monster maker like myself has entered. What’s important is the monsters right????

So here’s my entry for the contest, out-of-the box category. It is Geometric’s 1/8th scale Mummy. Just finished this one up on Wednesday. Had intended to try and build a base for him but when I found out that you had the online contest going, I just couldn’t resist sharing. I haven’t really learned yet how to use my new camera but hope that these pics will be okay.

Hope you enjoy my version of The MUMMY

A.U.

·
Registered
287 Posts
More out of the bag to be more precise. :D

Picked him up at the IPMS USA Region 6 convention that was held on October 3. He was in a sealed bag in 8 very hard vinyl peices. Nothing special, just glued him up, filled the seams as best I could, then painted him up. I wish that the pics were a little better. I was really proud of the way he turned out.

Weird thing is that I don't seem to have as much trouble with the vinyl and resin kits that I do with the plastic ones. I only done the kit because I was getting frustrated with my progress on my Revell Wolf Man reissue and decided to take a break from it. (I haven't gave up. I am going to learn to do plastic kits somehow!)

I am glad you guys like it. Your comments really mean alot to a beginner like me.

A.U.

P.S. MCR, I promise that you will get to see my Wolf Man when I get him done. Didn't want you to think that I gave up on the community build. I'm just slow.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I thought you were the first guy to get his done!

Great looking kits so far guys!

McDee....Let's just keep it to the monster kits for this year.

So far I have 2 for Out of the Box (or bag) and 1 for Diorama.

Who else want to enter? Deadline will be Nov 2nd and winners announced Nov 3.

Please note, I've updatded the first post with contest details. (When I originally typed them out, I had my baby in my arms and only typed what I could under the circumstances.)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think OzyMandias was the first one done. I am in the process of reworking mine for the fith time.:mad: But I'm not giving up. Just can't seem to work the "magic" with the plastic like everyone else can.

B.T.W. I loved your Bela the Gypsy. It has really inspired me.

Curious, would you happen to know what type the vinyl may have been?

A.U.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What do you mean?
Well, this was the first vinyl kit that I have tried so maybe that's it but even after warming the parts with a hair dryer it was like cutting a rock. Bet I used 5 blades in my knife to trim the 8 parts. Peices were very rigid, almost like the pvc pipe you would use in you home plumbing. Thought that maybe it had something to do with age. The dealer I bought it from did say it had been out of production for some time.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Aurora / Revell Converted Dracula Kit

Ok...here is my entry Trevor...I guess this should go in the diorama category or one of a kind category...you decide...
Let me give you some background on this kit conversion of mine…

I have used the Revell Re-issue of Dracula and decided to reposition his two arms and give him the traditional pose that everyone expected from the Aurora boxart but never actually got with the kit. This required me to reposition both arms and then also to reposition a few fingers on his right hand in the “trance” pose. I also had to re-sculpt the cape as his lower arm needed to be covered for a more natural look. I used AVES Apoxie Sculpt to do all this work…I’ve never used this product before and the stuff works GREAT!

I also used the replacement head I got from Tom Parker (Cult of Personality) which came from John Apgar (Judy and Tom) of Bela Legosi which looks much better than the vampire head that Revell replaced on this kit. I also used Rick Evans (Night-Owl Models) replacement base as Dracula was NEVER in a graveyard but seen in the castle…as depicted on the Aurora boxart.
Also I used Fritz's nameplate that came with the replacement base!

I added part of the tree from the original kit as well as some grass as seen in the cracks of the floor and the bat and spider. I even included his ring which a lot of folks seem to omit. Everyone should recognize those parts from the Aurora kit.

I also added a candlestick to add to the scene as if whomever he is setting his trance on may have dropped it on the floor.

I used Tamiya Acrylics and Testors paint on the kit.

As you can see, there was a lot of work by quite a few people to come together to make this great looking display. Plus, I added my own skills with the modifications to really make this a one of a kind piece!

MMM

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Ok here's my entry. Perfect for Halloween:
MonMH1 - Out of the Box--Polar Lights Sleepy Hollow

~RK~

1 - 20 of 79 Posts