Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The reason I use the term "1/64th'ish" so much is 1/64th scale in the modeling world is a relative term. Note that all of the Daytona's fall in the catagory of 1/64th. "Will the real 1/64th please roll forward? "The reason I made the Group 44 MGB E/P Roadster was that the British Invasion Casting was way too large; compared to other the other cars already in the Group 44 Stable.

So the other day I was surprised to see that Matchbox was offering an MGBGT. It also surprised me to see how closely MB and my pinewood carving, agreed on the scale. I saw only one. It'll probably be like the Healey and take several more months to start showing up in any quantity. But when I can find another one.... or four. They'll come out of the blisters. I can see an MGC, MGCGT, and maybe an MGBGTV8 with an opening bonnet, in the future. Be assured.... None of them will be painted white.....

20200705_124942.jpg
164DaytonaDiscrepency.jpg

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As an after thought I remembered. HEY ! ! ! Since I'm comparing.... I have that BI, MGB.

1/64 scale is in the mind of the beholder.

I'm not very good in math. (I can, manually count back correct change though.) But shouldn't the wheel size of the vehicle, whether measured in inches or millimeters; physically come out the same in 1/64th....... Every time ? Wheel size is the measurement I start with to lay out what appears to be a pretty accurate carving blueprint.

I dunno.... May have something to do with patent infringement ?

·
Administrator
26,984 Posts
What is the scale printed on the bottom of the MGB? Though, Matchbox has stopped including this on many castings now.

Diecasts are always funny to scale out in 3 dimensions. Hot Wheels have never really been designed to be exact 1:64 scale. Rather to be of the 3" scale; which started out as a comfortable sized car for a small child to hold in one hand.

Now days that better translates into the size of the car to fit within a blister lengthwise, height wise and width wise. Each of those measurements may not even be in the same scale to each other.

Most of us relate to 15" rims as what we grew up with and if you scale that out to 1:64 that would be 0.234 inches. Not even a quarter of an inch. The Hot Wheels small 5 spoke wheel design is just over a 1/4 inch in diameter (without considering the tire portion).

So if I did my math right, they would be closer to an 18" rim in 1:64 scale. Not fitted with low profile tires of course.

Or about 1:54 scale for them to represent a 15" rim.

Visually keep in mind these are the size commonly used as the front wheels on most castings with the rear wheel sets approach 20" to 24" and bigger rim sizes in scale with the medium and larger 5 spokes fitted at the rear.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see any scale numbers persay unless they are contained in code. The "B" chassis info is : JL, Playing Mantis, c 2000, 091.
The BGT's chassis info is 1971, MGBGT Coupe, Made in Thailand, Matchbox TM, GKK33, MB 1213, c 2019, Mattel, 1186 MJ. 1. NL . There is, in ink, N15.

Honestly I've never seen a scale on a chassis. Now I'm going to be looking.

Both cars wheels measure out at 5/16 +- a small fraction rim to rim. I could be more accurate. But I'm not taking the GT out until I find more.

·
Administrator
26,984 Posts
I dont remember Johnny Lightning ever having scale designations on their castings, but they are another company who did and still do make their castings to the 3" scale standard not true 1:64 scale.

Here is a Matchbox from their Candy Series. The 1: is partially obscured but you can see the 72 near the left rear tire. As a Hummer that seems appropriate to get this larger vehicle into the blister. Some of their fire engines and construction vehicles are in the 1:1## scale range. On this one the embossed M49 represents the 49th week of 2019 production. Your inked N15 is for the 15th week of 2020 production. The GKK33 is the item sku number and would typically match up to the case code on the hanger tag card back and the distribution box they shipped in. MB 1213 is Matchbox's design/model number for the casting. 1186 MU 1 NL is the (World wide) child safety compliance certification code.

I have often wondered if the 3 #s after the year correspond to the day of the year for their Johnny Lightning production runs, but havent researched if they change on each casting or match up to known release times.

2020 Matchbox Candy Series #3 Tootsie Roll '02 Humvee H2 SUV Concept
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Site question.
Will the "Recommended Reading" "Scale" discussions stay with this thread ? If so... That would be very cool

·
Administrator
26,984 Posts
It has been my experience that they seem to be the same recommended reading threads each time for any individual thread, but I am not sure what (relevant) search criteria (if any) the process is using to match up other threads.

That is, one would think your thread title would match to other MG subject threads first and not scale. And then if it is using the word content within your post - is it keying in on 1/64 or scale which doesnt seem to be used anymore than you used MG or a combination of MG*** in your posts.

My understanding is that the system learns (AI style) as new content is added though. So in the future a different (newer) thread or added content to an older thread my change up the recommended reading list.

If I remember correctly there is another update to the recommended reading list process on the tweak schedule - so it should get better at creating the recommended reading list in time.

If you do read a thread you would like to reference again from that list you can also use any of the save buttons in any post to add (bookmark) any thread to your own personal favorites list within the site.

Once you do that you can then click on your avatar profile image in the upper right corner of any page and find those threads you have marked as favorites (bookmarks).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts