Hobbyist Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1007 Posts

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #981
Our last stop was at Walgreens. They only had 2 HWs hanging on the pegs but I did find this Exotics 5 Pack with some interesting castings which includes the Miata (?) this time.

2021 Hot Wheels Exotics 5 Pack
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

Reactions: canalnoises

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #983
That makes a little more sense but still not so much an Exotic in my corner of the world. :whistle:

Reactions: 5thGenCamaro

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #984 (Edited)
Made another Krogers grocery store hunt again today. Easter items with some Hot Wheels and Disney Pixar Cars were still on sale. As were other Hot Wheels on the pegs. I also found some new 2021 MB Power Grabs - which were not on sale anymore!

20210326 Diecast Finds Kroger
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Nice finds! I stopped at a Smith's Marketplace (our Kroger store) and they had all the mainline Hot Wheels and Matchbox on sale, too. Tons of Hot Wheels, but pretty much all old stuff. They did have a couple newer mainlines that I picked up, though, and a few Matchbox too, including some Power Grabs. Looks like you had a much better selection to pick from, though!

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #989
Recent Walmart peg finds. I havent seen the black track packs in a few weeks now. Just mostly the yellow packs still handing around. Picked up a new MB hauler and the DIVCO in a nice copper color. Instead of being a milk truck it has converted to a shop truck. Has anyone looked insde to see what details are included there? I watched Lamley's tribute video to Ryu Asuda and the Raljin Express is not going to be his last casting design but I think is the most recently released new design. Also found the new MB Bentley on a card. Along with their Field Car and a new UTE. The World Wide tribute Camaro, from Hot Wheels. And a new Veloci Racer in gray and green.

20210326 Diecast Finds Walmart
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Nice finds. Were there any other Working Rigs on the pegs? Supposedly they're re-releasing the vacuum truck sometime this year and I need to pick one up for my nephew. There was one doing a bunch of work across the street last summer and he became obsessed with them, lol. The one from a couple years ago goes for crazy money on eBay so I'm hoping for this new one to be more easily obtainable.

Anyway, I don't have the copper Divco, but the white one from last year has some milk crates in the back. I don't really expect they would have changed it for this year, but that would be pretty cool if they did.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #991
I havent seen an annoucment for one and all the recent releases seem to be new models. I am always a little surprised with how much Matchbox will go for even after just a few years! So, what were they going for on eBay?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
There have only been three packaged ones sold on eBay this year. One sold for $33 almost as soon as it was listed, and the other two were listed at $99 or best offer. eBay doesn't say what the accepted offer was, though.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #993
Does HobbyDB have an average price. They are supposed to be integrating the ebay sales data now.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It looks like there actually isn't even a listing for this casing on hobbyDB. There are a lot of gaps in the Matchbox entries at hobbyDB, unfortunately. I'm working on it a little at a time, but it's a much bigger job than I can tackle on my own.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
I know you have seen my converstation there about subvariants and this is an example of that. I can see that the 60th anniversary and the one right below it are from the same year, but isnt the third one from the year before or after? Is that also a subvarient situation when you do the data entry or not?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Sorry, didn't see this until now. There's actually a few years separating the releases. The blueprint cards are from 2013 and the diagonal stripes are from 2016 (at least based on the copyright dates on the backs). The releases from different years do qualify as subvariants since the model inside the blister is identical in each. Since there's only one version of the loose casting so far, it has just one main variant and the three subvariants.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #998
So my premise is right that HobbyDB is not tracking castings by the year they are made but only by the name of the casting itself.

I think since I posted my question about this though a year 'varient' has or is being implemented there. But it is only showing up in the associated Series or Segment names - which I find really odd. And against most every collector I know of's 'industry standard' (understanding).

Not to bring it up with the HobbyDB folks at this moment, but I believe the 60th Anniversary cards were a shorter run and an exclusive distribution than the others and since they are both 2013 there should be a base plate date code to differentiate them. And for 2016 there should be a base plate date code on the loose casting to do the same. The card back date codes should show that as well if still carded.

There should then be a premium value associated with the 60th Anniversary cards over the other 2013 ones which in the valuation algorythms will not be captured properly at the moment.

I pretty much have the same 32 related questions about this one as the 2 Jet Z. Mostly why they are not there for this casting at the moment. I do like how you lead with the loose casting as the casting name 1st version (standard)?) and not a carded one.

But you used different names for the card types than was used by the 2 Jet Z. They should be standardized as you also mentioned. I think using LC, IC, and SC would save the space that Christian seems worried about and perserve site speed as well with Long Card, International Card or Short Card showing as the information shown for each cell data sub varient on each page the casting appears in.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. I've tried to answer your questions in detail. Let me know what you think and if I missed anything.

So my premise is right that HobbyDB is not tracking castings by the year they are made but only by the name of the casting itself.
No, the year its most definitely being tracked. Each item page has fields for released and discontinued dates. (They used to be called “produced from” and “produced to” so you might still see that in some of the documentation). If it's known, you can add a month and day, but for mainline Hot Wheels we typically just put the year . Even though the Valentines Beetle I have in front of me on my desk has the N47 code, and thus was manufactured in 2020, it's released year is listed in hobbyDB as 2021 since it's officially part of the 2021 mainline and that's what people will search for, not the 47th week of 2020. It's valuable to have the date codes listed in the description, but I don't think they need a separate field. Christian said they're working on an advanced search that will be able to show search results from text in the description. That will make it possible to search the date codes without them being in a separate field.

This is where the year shows up on the item page:

A lot of the time people have entered the year only in released, but I prefer to put it in both released and discontinued to make it clear production isn’t spanning multiple years. I think that’s becoming the standard now, but it's going to be a while before all database entries are updated. For brands like Maisto that keep the same model in production for several years I put the year of the first catalog the casting appeared in, and until the casting disappears from the catalog the discontinued date will be blank. There’s also a checkbox next to the date fields for “estimated” that you can tick if we don’t have a solid date yet.

Wherever you are on the site, including casting (variant) pages, subvariant pages, and series pages, you can use the released date to filter the list down to a specific year or range of years. Here, I went to the main variation page for the VW Bug casting, which has a total 91 variants listed from its introduction in 1989 up to this year, and punched in 1995 in both the “Released From” and “Released To” filters. That narrows it down to show me just the two released in 1995, the green Treasure Hunt and the pink one from the Pearl Driver series. I may have gone overboard with the markup, but hopefully it's not too messy and still makes sense, lol.

I think since I posted my question about this though a year 'varient' has or is being implemented there. But it is only showing up in the associated Series or Segment names - which I find really odd. And against most every collector I know of's 'industry standard' (understanding).
This is an area that's kind of in transition. Up until recently there was a separate listing for each year of each segment/series (like 2019 Hot Wheels Mainline, 2020 Hot Wheels Mainline, etc.). Now that date filtering and sorting is working well they're going through and combining those pages, so there will be just one Hot Wheels Mainline series which you can then filter to see only cars from specific years like I did with the VW Bug casting above. It is a bit different from what we're used to with other reference sites, but other sites don't have the dynamic filtering that hobbyDB has. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, but I think it'll be much better going forward. Static lists like on Fandom and the old South Texas Diecast site have a lot of limitations. (Although they do have their strengths as well. I think both Fandom and hobbyDB have their place in the collecting world.)

Not to bring it up with the HobbyDB folks at this moment, but I believe the 60th Anniversary cards were a shorter run and an exclusive distribution than the others and since they are both 2013 there should be a base plate date code to differentiate them.
The date codes would give us clues to that, but to create these listings I basically just used what was available in the eBay listings and from the Matchbox wiki, and neither of those sources listed date codes. If we can find someone who has these models in their collection we might be able to get the codes from them. Until then, though, we just have to work with what we've got.

There should then be a premium value associated with the 60th Anniversary cards over the other 2013 ones which in the valuation algorythms will not be captured properly at the moment.
Each subvariant does get its own value calculation. There's not a lot of data yet, but each one does have at least one eBay sale connected and you can see that so far it does look like the 60th anniversary card is worth the most, with the 2016 card being the cheapest. This is how the vacuum truck appears in the search results. It shows a range of values for all the subvariants:

When I go in to view the subvariants I can see the value estimated for each subvariant.

I do like how you lead with the loose casting as the casting name 1st version (standard)?) and not a carded one.
That’s the standard way to do it. We’re severely lacking in photos of loose castings, though, so that’s why you often see a carded photo at the top. The way subvariants work is one version gets set as the “display subvariant,” and its “show on search” photo is displayed at the top. When photos are uploaded to an item they can be set as “main photo” (large photo displayed on the item page, should be carded), “show on search photo” (shows on search results and at the top of subvariant pages, should be loose), and “detail photo” (should be a close up or a composite of close ups of the specific details that differentiate the subvariants). The detail photos are also lacking right now. The database is definitely a work in progress, which is why we need as many people as possible to help. :)

But you used different names for the card types than was used by the 2 Jet Z. They should be standardized as you also mentioned.
Well, the Working Rigs vacuum truck has different card types than the 2 Jet Z. The typical card types for mainlines are “USA card,” “international long card,” and “international short card.” I think those are pretty well standardized. If it’s not one of those standard cards they have to be described the best possible way, like some older releases had “instant win” stickers, “snowflake cards,” and for the past several years there are cards with the factory sealed sticker.

I think using LC, IC, and SC would save the space that Christian seems worried about and perserve site speed as well with Long Card, International Card or Short Card showing as the information shown for each cell data sub varient on each page the casting appears in.
I think using abbreviations like that would make it harder for users to tell which is which. From my admittedly limited understanding of databases, the longer descriptions wouldn’t slow down the site, but having additional fields would. I assume each item is a row in the table, while each data field is a column. Removing unnecessary columns is what will speed up the site, since each cell exists for every item record whether or not there’s any text in it.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,000
What you say makes sense and is what part of the developmentz I see going forward. I dont agree with every reason behind what you describe and notice you are guessing for some. Your information does help clarify why some things look different right now while the system catches up with itself but as you mentioned - its a new way of looking at diecast data. The transition will be difficult as those people who have the knowledge are not going to like or understand why it is being changed. New members will help out but dont have the knowledge or experience for the fine details you are describing. And when we talk about slowing down the site - is it even visible? We are talking nano seconds right?

981 - 1000 of 1007 Posts