Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
32,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 1964, Mettoy Playcraft introduced a new brand of smaller diecast at the request of Woolworths called "Husky". Woolworth wanted a line of toy cars to market in direct competition with Matchbox. They also made various sets of play related figurines and garage sets. The Husky Extra series was oriented toword TV related cars.

Another line of Husky diecast called "Husky Majors", were a range of trucks in the same size as the "Matchbox Major Packs". This series included a garage.

In the late 1960s, Mettoy seeing that their exclusive marketing contract with Woolworth was ended; changed their product line name in 1970, from "Husky" to "Corgi Juniors". And began distributing them to other retail outlets as well. This also served to better intergrate the seris name into the Corgi Toy's family name. Marking the first time this casting range had been branded as a Corgi product.

Also in 1970, low friction all plastic Whizzwheels were used on most models. This allowed Cogi Juniors to also race on the new "Corgi Rockets" track sets in diect competition with Mattel's Hot Wheels and Matchbox new Superfast ranges. Overtime 6 different wheel sets were used.

Although small scale Corgi models would continue to be produced until the demise of the original company in 1983, the name Corgi Juniors was dropped in the mid 1970s and the models were just branded as Corgi.

Under the internal management buyout of Corgi, the smaller Corgi line up was marketed as Corgi Auto Ciy until 1989 when Mattel purchased Corgi and seperated the small diecast line from Corgi Classics.

A few of the former Corgi Junior castings were later reissued as part of Mattel's Hot Wheels line up for just a few years - 1994 to 1997. One casting model - the BMW 850i was offered in two casting versions by Mattel; the former Corgi Junior version with opening doors and Mattel's own Hot Wheels version. One ther exCorgi casting, was issued for a longer period as a Hot Wheels was the Porsche Carrera.

Around 2005, the Husky name appeared again with a series of diecast emergency and commercial vehicles available in UK tourism industry. Available casting included an FX-2 taxi, a police car, a fire truck, and an ambulance. The company was located in Leicester and seems unconnected to todays Corgi International Limited as owned by Hornby.

HUSKY (1-75 Casting List - Incomplete)

1959 Buick Electra

Citroen DS (estate with a rowing boat on the roof)

Land Rover utility vehicle

NSU Ro-80

1966 Oldsmobile Starfire

Reliant (3 wheeler pickup)
Reliant Scimitar

Studebaker Lark Wagonaire
Sunbeam Alpine

HUSKY MAJORS

Ford car carrier (transporter) truck with a Hoynor Mk. II trailer

Husky moving van with "Husky" molded and brightly lettered in red on the sides.

CORGI JUNIORS

CORGI ROCKETS

D901 Aston Martin DB6
D902 Jaguar XJ6
D903 Mercedes Benz 280SL
D904 Porsche Carrera 6
D905 The Saint's Volvo P1800
D906 Jensen Interceptor
D907 Cadillac Eldorado

Sourced references -

Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)
https://www.hobbydb.com/subjects/husky-brand
https://www.hobbydb.com/subjects/corgi-juniors-series

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Mattel had their hands on Husky Models before Hot Wheels were invented.

Borrowed images of Mattel Service Station with Husky Models inside.

Notice the date

This packaging is considered a rare find and I have only seen a few available
on the market. The sets have also been found with different models inside.

Eric

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Interesting enough, many years ago when Bill Manzke was researching for his Corgi book,
I filled in many blanks. My Husky Models / Corgi Juniors collection became world class.
However, one day I asked Mark Curtis of the former MCCH website to list them all on eBay
for me and he did. Still have all the auction printouts and a disk containing all of the pictures.

Cheers
Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts