Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
NX-01 templates tired of the wait

So I made my own. As a graphic artist with access to some really cool tools and too much time on my hands, I set to work

First, I pulled the jpgs from Polar Lights ( the color reference ones ) into my software of choice ( Corel Draw) and sized them up to the scale of the model - 11 inch long nacelles and 15 inch across saucer.

Then, using the jpgs as a guide, I traced the shapes the best way I liked ( as well as some general purpose shapes) and then exported the resulting file as an Illustrator file.

Here's where it pays to work in a shop with the good toys. I imported the file into sign making software and then plotted it in vinyl. This was great cuz it meant that I could make the whole "plate" as one piece and the vinyl had a low enough adhesion that I can re-position then If needed and they don't pull up the paint from underneath. I did have to do some recutting and shaping once I actually put them on the model to allow for the 3D-ness of the ship vs. the 2D-ness of the jpg.

It took a while, but I stuck down the individual shapes to the model and hit it with the second color of paint. - I stated by painting the whole thing Metalizer Steel. Buffed it, put on the vinyl then sprayed Metalizer Aluminum-

Waiting as long as I could ( 2-3 hours) I peeled up the vinyl and was amazed that my hair brained idea actually worked.

I'll let it dry a good long time then buff again and seal, then do some brush work to add more detail and variation.

As soon as somebody tells me how to make an attachment, I'll show you the jpg of the aztec plating file I made. I'll try to get some photos taken before I go too much further with the construction.

PS I'm using jwjjr's lighting kit. It looks very impressive (of course, it's still in the box)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
NX-01 templates tired of the wait

So I made my own. As a graphic artist with access to some really cool tools and too much time on my hands, I set to work

First, I pulled the jpgs from Polar Lights ( the color reference ones ) into my software of choice ( Corel Draw) and sized them up to the scale of the model - 11 inch long nacelles and 15 inch across saucer.

Then, using the jpgs as a guide, I traced the shapes the best way I liked ( as well as some general purpose shapes) and then exported the resulting file as an Illustrator file.

Here's where it pays to work in a shop with the good toys. I imported the file into sign making software and then plotted it in vinyl. This was great cuz it meant that I could make the whole "plate" as one piece and the vinyl had a low enough adhesion that I can re-position then If needed and they don't pull up the paint from underneath. I did have to do some recutting and shaping once I actually put them on the model to allow for the 3D-ness of the ship vs. the 2D-ness of the jpg. The model is amazingly faithfull to the dimensions of the .jpg

It took a while, but I stuck down the individual shapes to the model and hit it with the second color of paint. - I stated by painting the whole thing Metalizer Steel. Buffed it, put on the vinyl then sprayed Metalizer Aluminum-

Waiting as long as I could ( 2-3 hours) I peeled up the vinyl and was amazed that my hair brained idea actually worked.

I'll let it dry a good long time then buff again and seal, then do some brush work to add more detail and variation.

Heres the .jpg of the aztec plating file I made. I'll try to get some photos taken before I go too much further with the construction.

PS I'm using jwjr's lighting kit. It looks very impressive (of course, it's still in the box)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Lou Dalmaso said:
As soon as somebody tells me how to make an attachment, I'll show you the jpg of the aztec plating file I made.
Click on "Post Reply" or "Go Advanced". At the bottom under "Additional Options", there's a button called "Manage Attachments". Hit that to attach pics to your post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts