Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
True on the change. I tried to use the glass out of a Summit Camaro for an original and it's not quite the same.
Are we still talking about the 67 Camaro? Wasn't the Summit Camaro this same cast, the one with the super TH, and that was 2013... that was a mainline
..and I guess it is a cool tribute the the original, altho that cast has been changed twice since the old days.

What about the 55 Nomad or Classic Nomad cast?.. is that one still metal base? I just found an older one from the .com series and it was still metal... That one is also kind of a tribute back to the original 1970 modle, in fact I think that cast is the same, unlike the Camaro

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
This is still an interesting thread topic to me!

We have seen the return to more metal/metal castings with some of the store exclusive series, but is there still a mainline casting with a metal body and metal base in production?

And as a new slant is there a new casting with a metal body and a metal base out there now?

Reactions: samace22

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
This is still an interesting thread topic to me!

We have seen the return to more metal/metal castings with some of the store exclusive series, but is there still a mainline casting with a metal body and metal base in production?

And as a new slant is there a new casting with a metal body and a metal base out there now?
Quick knee jerk answer is no.
I don't think there is a mainline left and I really doubt any new casting is metal/metal. I could be wrong though.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
I cant think of any right of hand either, but was thinking maybe the Chess Piece VW was both - not certain though. Thats not a new casting though and it was 2 or 3 years back IIRC.

Reactions: samace22

·
Premium Member
9,503 Posts
There isn't any basic cars that are still metal on metal.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The Twin Mill in the new Hot Wheels Legends 5-pack has a metal base. I don't know if that quite counts as a basic car, though. The 2021 Twin Mill in the single pack has a plastic base.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
I've always thought about the multipacks as being the same castings from the mainlines, but after doing the voting threads - I learned there are exclusives and recolors in abundance in them. Now they are the same type of casting builds as the main lines. So to me - I would still tend to group them together as the basic line.

I also checked up on the 2018 VW Bugs used in the Chess Pieces segment. They did have a metal base and I am pretty sure they still have the metal body used. Fandom doesnt include the body type material in the more recent listings - only the color. So I still need to check Hobby DB to confirm it was metal/metal. It did show the new 2021 Valentines casting went back to being a plastic base again!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm pretty sure the VW Bug has always had a metal body (other than color changers, maybe). I think I have one of the chess piece Bugs in one of my boxes. I can try to dig it out later and see if it's metal/metal unless you find it first :) This year's Valentines release does indeed have a chromed plastic base.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Yeah the VW Beetle returned to the main line this year and has a plastic base now.
If they are going to do this to the bug, wish they would do an update to the casting. That one is from what?, 1988? I know its Hot Wheels style to do the giant, tractor size wheels, especially on the rear, but if they can make almost every year of a JDM Skyline casting look realistic and nice, the popularity and collector base of a VW Bug is probably larger than even the JDM crowd. They had some really nice 100% castings of the bug they still should have the molds for.... instead of giving us that one over and over, plus the wacky cartoon and Kafe racer stuff, as well as they one with no fenders...

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
The last update to the Custom VW Beetle was back in 2016 and like its Matchbox counterparts was most likely done to make assembly easier at the factory. Maybe that is the reason behind the Bug changing over to a plastic base as well.

The Bug casting has been around since the late '80s and has tie ins all the way back to the 1968 Custom Volkswagen so I dont see it changing from its original California Miniatures raked stance anytime soon..

Unfortunately things will probably end up changing now that Ryu Asada has passed though. He was the designer primarily responsible for the JDM casting line becoming more realistic over time but he also did many of the current tooned, kafer and newest fantasy designs as well. Remember he also started at Matchbox before moving over to Mattel. If you watched the lamley tribute video to him you will also be aware of how much he listened to the collectors and their input and concerns.

I also still think the JDM following will continue to keep growing and like it or not - the muscle car and classic bug crowd - is coming to an end. Just because we are all getting older and also starting to die off ourselves. Think about how many brands still manufacture classic cars now. Or even cars from before the 1950's. It is just a part of life's progression.

And personally I like the fender less Bug casting the best!

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Yeah the VW Beetle returned to the main line this year and has a plastic base now. Another hold out that is returning to the mainline this year is the Hot Bird(1977 Trans Am), haven't seen what it looks like yet but I'll bet it will have a plastic base for the first time.
The 77Trans Am is part of the "Spring" cars this year. It looks like the base is plastic. It still looks pretty nice though.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If they are going to do this to the bug, wish they would do an update to the casting. That one is from what?, 1988? I know its Hot Wheels style to do the giant, tractor size wheels, especially on the rear, but if they can make almost every year of a JDM Skyline casting look realistic and nice, the popularity and collector base of a VW Bug is probably larger than even the JDM crowd. They had some really nice 100% castings of the bug they still should have the molds for.... instead of giving us that one over and over, plus the wacky cartoon and Kafe racer stuff, as well as they one with no fenders...
I actually quite like the old VW Bug casting and I'm happy that they're still using it. It was one my only Beetle diecasts when I was a kid so I'm kind of nostalgic for it, lol. I do wish there was a stock-looking one, too, though. The new '63 Beetle Monster Truck casting is very accurate and I r e a l l y hope they re-use it as a mainline. I've seen a couple of customs that have put a base and normal wheels on it and it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
no there's another Trans Am casting called "Hot Bird" that originated in the 70s, and was last used in 2013. It's scheduled to return to the mainline this year.
Thank you.
I am familiar with the Hot Bird casting. I've got a few in the collection including the Treasure Hunt from 2008 and a few of the different colors from the Classics release.
Castings are similar but there are differences.
Both are favorites of mine because I had a 77 Trans Am. it had the 6.6 V8 turbo Hydra-matic automatic transmission. It did not have T-tops but when you are going over 80, you didn't need them.
Neat thing about this one was, it wasn't the usual black or white or re. It was a dark brown. Never saw another one like it in that color.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thank you.
I am familiar with the Hot Bird casting. I've got a few in the collection including the Treasure Hunt from 2008 and a few of the different colors from the Classics release.
Castings are similar but there are differences.
Both are favorites of mine because I had a 77 Trans Am. it had the 6.6 V8 turbo Hydra-matic automatic transmission. It did not have T-tops but when you are going over 80, you didn't need them.
Neat thing about this one was, it wasn't the usual black or white or re. It was a dark brown. Never saw another one like it in that color.
I looked into buying a 1979 in that color with the Olds 403 in it(also auto and no T-tops) for $10k a couple years ago, but it needed a lot of work as to be expected at that price point for a Trans Am. It disappeared a few days anyways after I looked at it, so I hope it's getting a full restoration. Would've been a cool car, but I just didn't have the time or the money it would have required.

I'm a Ford guy, but the Pontiacs have always been my favorite GM cars.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts