Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a rant or anything. Just curious.The Mini thread got me thinking about what's left in mainlines that is metal body/metal base. The '67 Camaro, one of my all time favorites, still is as far as I know. Any others?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
They've kept the metal base on the '67 Camaro a lot longer then i thought they would.

It would pretty much suck without it.Maybe thats why.

Mike

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Hot Wheels has sure never been averse to releasing other cars that suck,
I'd be curious to know what their exact motivation is for keeping the Camaro metal, aside from collector interest.
Even the hood has survived unsealed hasn't it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
They've kept the metal base on the '67 Camaro a lot longer then i thought they would.

Mike
They better keep it all metal.....they probably produce it cheap since there's no damn doors on the thing......:tongue:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Mike
Maybe the car is just small enough to be able to keep it metal/metal? Or maybe it's because it is one of the surviving Sweet 16?

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Hot Wheels has sure never been averse to releasing other cars that suck,
I'd be curious to know what their exact motivation is for keeping the Camaro metal, aside from collector interest.
Even the hood has survived unsealed hasn't it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
The CUL8R also received the "plastic upgrade" chassis from Mattel...which completely ruined the performance dynamic for that casting, IMO. 16 Angels is another car that was originally metal-on-metal until the choice for the plastic body was made. And don't be fooled by the latest mainline releases of Acceleracers castings. While all of those cars were already plastic-on-metal, Mattel did away with the extra metal components(engines, spoilers, ect.) that helped make those cars perform well on the track. The fact is, less money spent on materials is more money in their pockets.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Or maybe it's because it is one of the surviving Sweet 16?

That might be it.

It is the first HW.And it's not really changed very much since it first came out.

Kind of cool that it's been around since the beginning.

But is it even used in the mainline much any more?

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
That might be it.

It is the first HW.And it's not really changed very much since it first came out.

Kind of cool that it's been around since the beginning.

But is it even used in the mainline much any more?

Mike
No it hasn't been used in the Mainline Series for Years Now. The Last Time it was in the Mainline Series was back in 2002.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Are we still talking about the 67 Camaro? Wasn't the Summit Camaro this same cast, the one with the super TH, and that was 2013... that was a mainline
..and I guess it is a cool tribute the the original, altho that cast has been changed twice since the old days.

What about the 55 Nomad or Classic Nomad cast?.. is that one still metal base? I just found an older one from the .com series and it was still metal... That one is also kind of a tribute back to the original 1970 modle, in fact I think that cast is the same, unlike the Camaro

1 - 20 of 39 Posts