Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going thru cars to give to some little ones...nephews...friends kids... found these 2 in a box of loose...
realized that they are not that old, but both have metal chassis AND body...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
There are still the odd metal chassis available now. It's one of the things I always look for.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
One of my fav. cars is the Hemi Cuda here

All metal, all day long.

Or these bugs. Metal chassis and base to boot.'

Cheers

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
When did Hot Wheels switch over to plastic chassis?
Mattel has had plastic bases for many years, but the vast majority have switched to plastic now due to cost. Some castings in the mainline are still have metal bases but not many.
This debate has been a frequent topic for a while on a lot of web sites.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When did Hot Wheels switch over to plastic chassis?
I think the 'Rodger Dodger' was the 1st HW casting to fall victim to the cost-cutting measures of the 'plastic chassis'. It was originally released in 1974 in full-metal form and dominated living room downhill races everywhere. But when it was re-released in 1977, it had a chromed-plastic chassis and wasn't as heavy or as fast as the original. It continued in plastic form until Mattel finally made it a full-metal version once again in 2006 with an 'HWC' version, and again in 2008 with the "Classics" series.

Anyway, I affectionately refer to any HW casting that begins its life as a 'metal chassis' car and gets switched to a 'plastic chassis' as a victim of "Rodger Dodger Syndrome". :rolleyes:

(*cough* `70 Chevelle SS *cough*):p

GspeedR :cool:

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I think the 'Rodger Dodger' was the 1st HW casting to fall victim to the cost-cutting measures of the 'plastic chassis'. It was originally released in 1974 in full-metal form and dominated living room downhill races everywhere. But when it was re-released in 1977, it had a chromed-plastic chassis and wasn't as heavy or as fast as the original. It continued in plastic form until Mattel finally made it a full-metal version once again in 2006 with an 'HWC' version, and again in 2008 with the "Classics" series.

Anyway, I affectionately refer to any HW casting that begins its life as a 'metal chassis' car and gets switched to a 'plastic chassis' as a victim of "Rodger Dodger Syndrome". :rolleyes:

(*cough* `70 Chevelle SS *cough*):p

GspeedR :cool:
Good points but I don't think you can use the Roger Dodger as an example.
Because most if not all HWC cars have metal bases and also almost if not all the cars from the Classics series were on metal bases.
I'm guessing that Vifam7 might be refering to mainline castings?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I think the 'Rodger Dodger' was the 1st HW casting to fall victim to the cost-cutting measures of the 'plastic chassis'. It was originally released in 1974 in full-metal form and dominated living room downhill races everywhere. But when it was re-released in 1977, it had a chromed-plastic chassis and wasn't as heavy or as fast as the original.
Are you sure the Rodger Dodger went plastic in '77? That seems awfully early. I recall the all metal days were still in full swing at that time, and growing up in the late 70's and into the early 80's I didn't have any cars with plastic chassis. I know there was about a 19 year break in production of the Dodger after '79, and it was definitely a plastic chassis by the 90's.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the steamroller and super van went plastic base a couple years before the rodger dodger
You may be correct, but the Rodger Dodger is the one that 'stuck' in my mind(for the following reason...).

Full Flaps! said:
Are you sure the Rodger Dodger went plastic in '77? That seems awfully early.
Yes, I'm certain about it because I still vividly remember that feeling of being cheated when I opened a 'plastic chassis' RD in late 1976. It may sound strange, but I think I lost a bit of respect for Mattel on that day.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I remember having a redline Super Van with the plastic chassis. I also had the the '76-'77 issue Fire eater and Emergency squad with plastic chassis. It wasn't uncommon. In the late '70s I remember the Larry's tow truck, letter getter, Buzz-off, torino stocker, monte carlo stocker, Mercedes C-111, Poison Pinto and many others with the plastic base. It didn't bother me then or now.

Though I must say the first edition '70 Chevelle with the metal base sure was nice compraed to later issues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hot Wheels definitely had plastic chassis cars in the 1970's. Look at the following:

Toring stocker/ Monte Carlo stocker
Warpath
Poison Pinto
'57 Chevy
'56 Hi Tail Hauler
Second Wind

These were made with redlines and have a plastic chassis. I'm sure there are more.

I also challenge the "Rodger Dodger" being the first metal to plastic chassis switch. I have a "Police Cruiser" that is a redline and has a VUM chrome plastic chassis. The hood is molded shut on this one. (The opening hood version I have has a metal chassis. The metal chassis version actually has the name "Police Cruiser" on the underside.) I also have a redline Porsche 917 with a black plastic chassis.

There may be others before this. I hope it helps.

·
Administrator
31,744 Posts
Bumping this thread as a companion to the 2018 metal/metal casting question that new member @HotWheelsJohn posted yesterday....

(It starts at the other end of the HWs production runs...)

The earliest casting - I have, in my current collection - with a plastic base is the Torino Stocker from 1979. Wiki Fandom references it as introduced in 1975 with a plastic base, but that the 2 Thrill Drivers set versions of 1977 were both released with metal bases.

1979 Hot Wheels (7647) Torino Stocker by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
I have a lot of older hotwheels that have metal body's and metal bases in my collection. ?

·
Administrator
31,744 Posts

·
Administrator
31,744 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts