differences with the plastic on the sf merryweather fire engine
small and large rear equipment

grill and headlights

small and large hose reels

small and large doors

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

Picture thanks to Alwin Van Hatten showing the hard to find early production ridge under the locker which I do not have but I do have both of Mountains variations plus the G box, sealed G blister with metallic red (solid and hollow wheels) and solid red versions.I even have a spare to try fitting chrome hubs wheels to as per the Lesney regular wheels prototype ;) A very fine casting of a 1:1 product seen in many parts of the former British empire like Australia, New Zealand and Malta.This is the same ERGO cab as used on the 10 Pipe truck, 17 Horsebox,32 BP tanker and 51 Tipper but not to the same scale!!! Engines fitted could be Leyland ,AEC or Albion depending on which factory in the Leyland empire built the chassis (London AEC, Lancashire Leyland and Scotland Albion )

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i believe that variation is only with the metallic red. which is a good one. have you seen it on the other red ?
the top side rear of the model is supposed to have a variation too. i don’t have it but here is a little information on it from 72 and also the 1973 A.I.M. catalog listing.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Thankyou for posting the AIM catalog details - only the early castings in that o so fashionable metallic red had the lip (Lesney and Dinky used this shade on lots of 1968-73 castings when normal red made a comeback) and they are scarce today........

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
No 35 and a Kingsize favourite in 1:1. Here is a real AEC Merryweather from 1968 (G suffix on numberplate) that is in preservation in the UK today, and a previous Merryweather AEC turntable from 1960, restored in the UK.These were often built with areas of unpainted metal but most became all red .

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Nice to see you had fun with them without destroying them - looks like they can still run.....the memories in our childhood toys are priceless and to me, my repainted beaters are more enjoyable today than the near mint replacements I also have in my collection.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts