Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I been here a while and need help. I have the 1/12 scale Mercury capsule and I what to make a small section of the rocket for the capsule to sit on. Here's the problem I cant find any good pictures of the capsule connected to the rest of the rocket. Is there a ring that covers the two together or what PLease help:)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Welcome to the club, Triple J!!! Have you tried any of the Nasa sites? Or just Google "Mercury Redstone pics". Be sure to post pics of your work!!

Wayne

·
Registered
934 Posts
looks kinda like three rings,...I do know for sure about the rings, but there is a difference between the capsule listed below:
Mercury/redstone-testing
Mercury/redstone-HAM the monkee
merc/redstone-Shepard
merc/redstone-Grissom

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well, it turns out that just yesterday I came across the McDonnell Aircraft "Mercury Capsule Familiarization Manual" on the NASA Technical Reports server. Here are three pages of tech art which should help explain the capsule/booster structural connection:

I will post the link to the report so you can download the entire report (at higher resolution too) yourself once the NASA server is up again (it goes down a lot).
Hope this helps out in the meantime.

Phil

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Here is the link to the familiarization manual (28mb pdf):

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=8...tx=mode+matchall&Ns=PublicationYear%7c0&N=302

And this link is for the "mercury" general search. The filters are set for "technical reports" only but you can broaden the search to include photos, video, and other types of media. Not all of it is available on line (although much of it is) but you can order copies of the rest for a price. There is so much material available on line that I have spent about 6 weeks of spare time effort just looking through the technical reports alone! Incredible, and it is for my favorite price: free (!):

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?Ns=PublicationYear|0&N=302&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%20matchall&Ntt=mercury

Note: If you spend a lot of time searching this site, don't forget to book mark your last page. I got over 5,000 hits for just "technical reports" when I used the search term "Apollo", which equates to over 500 pages of listings, and a book mark really helps instead of having to page through all those listings looking for where you left off last time.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yes, there is a retaining ring that holds the spacecraft to the booster. It's spring loaded and pops off just before capsual sep.

Go to:

www.ninfinger.org (yes, ninfinger is spelled correct)

www.realspacemodels.com - Proprietor Glenn Johnson sells a super-dooper set of drawings by David Weeks that will give you just what you need. Check it out.

I've got more stuff just don't have time right now to dig it up, can later. I have some good pictures but they're too large to upload here. Contact me off group with your email and I can send them to you.

hal9001-

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yep, what X15-A2 posted is exactly what I was going to get for you tomorrow and scan it. I have a copy of the FM on the Mercury. So, no need now. He posted while I was replying to your question but I can still send you some pics if you wish. Just let me know if you contact me via PM because I don't check PM's very offten.

hal9001-

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Me again. I failed to mention something, and that is, if you haven't built your Mercury spacecraft yet I can't recommend enough to go to www.spacemodelsystems.com and get Rich Sternbach's 1/12 decals for this kit. I belive he said he put "every stinking marking I could find" on that sheet. And it is a great set. This will add so much to the look. Too, Mike Mackowsi at www.spaceinminiture.com has a real good book on modeling the Mercury spacecraft, check it out too. Neither are very expensive. Remember too that only two capsuals road atop the Redstone booster so be mindfull of that when you choose your markings. Hope I'm not telling you something you already know. I have five of 1/12 Merc kits and I think I will steal/borrow your idea. Adding part of the booster never dawned on me, I love it!

hal9001-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts