Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These models were in the first photo I posted - I thought a few more from the set would be OK.

The Renntransporter is from CMC - a brilliant model. The 300SLR is by Minichamps - the #19 of Fangio/Moss from the ill-fated Le Mans 24 Hours of 1955 & the L6600 Truck is a Schuco release.

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,378 Posts
Another nice series of pics Steve! :thumbsup:

I wish I could find a place that sell figures in 1/43 scale.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Steve - I saw the 1:1 scale transporter last Friday at the new Mercedes Museum in Bad Cannstatt. You can not believe the compound angles on those two rear windows when you see them; I took several minutes ogling the vehicle. The seats were finished in the traditional plaid cloth material used in '50s Silver Arrows. The transporter displayed (as with all the other Mercedes Museum cars) was absolutely pristine. When Mercedes was dominating F1 in the early '50s they took their cars back to Stuttgart at night on the transporters at high speed; the other teams worked on their cars in the rain at the tracks. Mercedes always had a better way to do it and this vehicle shows how well they thought out their situation and dealt with it. A beautiful model & I hope to find the new 1/87 release of the transporter and the W154 from the Mercedes collection.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
STUTZ said:
Another nice series of pics Steve! :thumbsup:

I wish I could find a place that sell figures in 1/43 scale.
Thanks Ray - the best place for figures are places which sell model railways - 1:43 would be "O" gauge.

Steve

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ranchero said:
Steve - I saw the 1:1 scale transporter last Friday at the new Mercedes Museum in Bad Cannstatt. You can not believe the compound angles on those two rear windows when you see them; I took several minutes ogling the vehicle. The seats were finished in the traditional plaid cloth material used in '50s Silver Arrows. The transporter displayed (as with all the other Mercedes Museum cars) was absolutely pristine. When Mercedes was dominating F1 in the early '50s they took their cars back to Stuttgart at night on the transporters at high speed; the other teams worked on their cars in the rain at the tracks. Mercedes always had a better way to do it and this vehicle shows how well they thought out their situation and dealt with it. A beautiful model & I hope to find the new 1/87 release of the transporter and the W154 from the Mercedes collection.
The sad thing is that the transporter in the museum is a replica - the original was scrapped in the '60s - but kudos to Mercedes for recreating it. I have a book on the W196 and there are several photos of the transporter carrying the GP & sports cars.

Steve

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2fab4u said:
Those are some awesome pieces. Thanks for sharing them.

Roy in TX.
Thanks Roy - the transporter is quite possibly the favourite model in my collection.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Amazing transporter... I can only imagine how cool this must have looked back in fifties....and it still does. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts

Here is the other 1/43 scale release of the Mercedes Renntransporter. Back when German labor was cheaper, there were actually model cars manufactured in Germany. There were several makers, all in the Nurnberg area, of superior quality die cast promotional models for the German car industry - Schabak, NZG, Cursor and Conrad. This model is by Conrad (# 1034) and was released in around 1992. The W196 hitching a ride back to Stuttgart is a Marklin from the 1950s.

·
Registered
343 Posts

The Conrad is not at all as sophisticated or detailed as the current CMC, but it is very nice and is of good quality for its time. I felt lucky to find it back then - what an unusual subject.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts