Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I like pie!

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
36,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vote for those sections you would like to see added or not. Existing threads will be moved to each new approved section based on current titles or post content as well.

·
Administrator
36,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I noticed the voting choices for new sections was not set to multiple selections and limited to only one vote. I edited this option to allow members to vote for more than one section to be in favor of adding. You can change your vote or add to them by using the 'change yote' option in bottom right hand corner.

·
Administrator
36,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only adding a 3D Printed Model section was approved by the member ship. I will add that section later today and migrate the related threads from hobby and collectibles there as well. 🤙

·
Administrator
36,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIRC there are enough threads on Paper, Wood, water craft and maybe architectural builds to insert new hobby areas to archive those type of model builds. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
I can see forums for paper, 3-D models and maybe model rocketry because they require special skills, just as resin and vinyl kits do. But architecture, nautical, and wood subjects usually come in kits that require building techniques that are covered in other forums already. Wouldn't a plastic kit of a building demand the same skills as an injection-molded monster figure, or wood and nautical go together, since most wood-based kits are of ships?

Put it this way: I've gotten a lot of useful information from FineScale Modeler, even though I build Sci-Fi/Horror kits and the magazine covers mainly military subjects. But the skills that are illustrated in that publication can be transferred from one genre to another. That's why I think that fewer sections would be less bewildering when someone needs to ask a question. For example, "What's the best glue to use for..." such-and-such a kit would have more to do with the material of which the model is made and less with the subject, be it a Mummy or an F-15.

·
Administrator
36,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cant really agree or disagree with you since the members have voted to only add a new 3D forum here in the model building forum as a new forum subject.

Currently though I am seeing more wood kits for horse drawn type vehicles (wagons and carts) again than ships available locally. These are not usually found with the boxed plastic model kits though. Where I do find them is with the landscaping/diorama accessory/supplies aisle primarily.

The other member approved section to expand upon was the 'how to' skills one. Are you saying that a 'how to' work with section on paper, model rocketry, and vinyl kit special skills would be needed there instead? If so, we can move your post from above over to there or you can add your suggestions to that thread update as well.

Most model rocketry kits I am seeing currently are either still all paper and/or plastic. So there is some overlap to the building skills needed there as well to assemble and paint them.

I also do agree with you that the basic skills for all of them do overlap with each other to some extent. But also remember the membership has already voted to move model railroading (and its other specialty skill sets) out of the "plastic kit building" models section. That same separation is already in place for diecast slot and RC cars which like model railroading also have their own special skill sets to allow them to roll freely while most model kits are intended to be static.

In the end, there is really no right or wrong way to arrange things. And some members will be happy with the changes. While others will not.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
In the end, there is really no right or wrong way to arrange things.
Miltie, that sentence is the most important thing. If anyone absolutely must find a thread on a particular subject, they can either A: ask anybody on any HT forum, because everybody here has always seemed ready and willing to help everybody else; or B: just noodle around until they find what they're looking for. That's always worked for me!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,343 Posts
What happened to the TV and movies discussion section?

·
Administrator
36,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The previous member voting result was to move the original (Sci-fi) movie and tv discussions into the science fiction section. Along with figures and toys that are science fiction (fantasy) related.

We did create an open movie and tv discussion section in hobbies and collectibles with category links to their respective science fiction and die cast movie and tv related sections.

Reactions: John P
1 - 10 of 10 Posts