Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I double shrinked four sets of individual GP3300 cells. Then I had the local batteries+ store spot-weld tin strips in stick pack configuration. Each sub-stick of three cells is shrinked so the bridge and lead ends are exposed. I installed Trinity end caps, powerpole connections, and shrunk the whole pack.

One pack performs and cycles as good if not slightly better than the others. But it melts the end cap on the bridge end in the middle directly above the tin strip. I say in the middle to specify a location because I took the pack shrink wrap and end caps off to look for shorts, bad individual cell shrink, bad weld, etc. I’ve even shimmed the tin strip by putting shrink between it and the cells. The connection looks good and nothing is touching that isn’t supposed to be.

End caps still melt in the center of the tin strip.

I’m using the same buggy [esc and motor] so the power draw has to be relatively the same across packs. How is that tin strip resisting power flow so much it melts the cap?

Any suggested fixes? Remove cells, grind off tin, re-shrink cells, new tin strip (batt bar), new end cap, re-shrink pack? That’s a lot of work.

Thx,

PS: When cycling, the bridge end does seem warmer that the other four cells in all of the packs. Is this normal?

Maybe I should use batt bars on the bridge end even in stick packs. They can surely take more power than tin strips. But I’m still confused why all end caps aren’t melting if that is the problem.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The tin strips most not be rated for the current your putting thru them. Try a Deans battery bar instead of the tin strip. Any time you shrink wrap the cells then shrink the entire pack you will creat more heat being traped. It's a great way to keep the cells from damage but will cause them to overheat sometimes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts