Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
There are. I just wish there were more Hobby exhibitions in Sydney. We seem to hold them either in country towns or on the outer suburbs, both of which are hard to attend if you don't have a car.

I wish I could go to Melbourne though. I always enjoy looking through the photos in the ModelArt Australia magazine.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I've been twice - once in '97 and again about 6 years ago. I had a blast!! Did well in comp and killed my bank account at the Monday swap meet.
I hope you have a great time mate.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xeno, I agree. Most of the shows around Sydney are for model rail, though I did find out about one last year, after it was over that had a sci fi category.
Must check if its on this year.

Chris, glad you enjoyed your experience at Melbourne Model Expo. My mate Warwick has entered twice and done OK, so he is egging me on to get involved. I will be taking 5 or 6 entries along. Sort of rushing to get the last one finished. Looking forward to the experience and meeting some new modelling folk! And the road trip too!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Model Expo is a great show! There's heaps of traders, the competition standards are very high, and the swap&sell is incredible! There's usually a long long line outside for the s&s so it's best to get there early. It's also a good idea to get your entries in on friday evening if you can. The lines outside on Saturday are a bitch! I entered the Citroen Rustbucket on the friday and waited about 5 minutes as opposed to the half hour (or longer) wait the next morning.
While you're down there it's a good opportunity to take in the hobby shops. Bill Wong at Hobby HQ usually has some rare stuff in stock and the Minotaur bookshop (if it's still there) is worth a browse.
Good luck in the competition. I hope you do well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Chris, I am looking forward to participating and seeing the other awesome models first hand this time.

No doubt I will check out some of the shops while I am there. I do know Bill at Hobby HQ so it will be on the list.

Report when I get back!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Model Expo in Melbourne was very enjoyable. Great to see so many fantastic models of various types, see some cool new stuff coming from the vendors and meet some other modellers from around Australia.

It was also fairly successful for me as I snagged a first in the large SF figure category with my Billiken Beulah, second in the same category with my Geometric Talos and third in SF vehicles and equipment with my '89 Batmobile.

So I was very happy with that result! My mate took third in large SF figures with his Solarwind Thing, plus 2 commendeds for his giant RatBatSpiderCrab and an Outer Limits figure.

Not sure if I'll go again next year as its a lot of work to prepare everything, pack it and a long drive, but I've got a few ideas if I decide to do it.

I also entered a Ma.K figure and the Phoenix from this thread,
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=366279
But didn't score with either. Lots of good competition there!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
WOW!! You did really well mate!! Congratulations on your win and placings.
You've done a great job on your models and they look like deserving winners.
Have you ever thought of coming up here for QMHE?? In my modelling group there's 3 of us from here at HT (surfsup, MickeyD and myself) as well as my son Scott (dino84) who comes down from Darwin for the comp. We're all entering stuff this year and we have our own table so there's always somewhere to sit and talk crap....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Chris, thank you for the good wishes. I had not thought about the QMHE, as I did not know about it. Do you have a link or something with details? I may be able to factor it into plans for next year. It would be great to catch up.

Xenodyssey, thank you for the compliment!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'm no good at linking mate, but if you google QMHE it'll be there.
It's a pretty big show with some very high quality work on the tables.
Another couple of HT members who attend the show are Bruce (Ozymandias) and Alec (AJ1701) so there's quite a few of us!
It'd be great to see you there some time.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Great models there Daikai and you most definitely deserve your win. I don't think I'll be planning on attending any down under shows as much as it sounds like they are grand. Just a bit far from Florida!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Bob, thanks for the kind comments.

Its 11 months till next Expo, so plenty of time to save up for the trip!

There were people from New Zealand, Poland and other far flung places this year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts