.25 mile equals 1320 Feet

1320/64 = 20.63 feet?

UUGGGHHHHHH

My brain is mush - where is my error??

Dip

·
Registered
625 Posts
I did the math on that too, what thinking of making a full 1/4 mile drag strip in 1/64th scale.

1/4 mile = 1320ft

1320 / 64 = 20.625 ft

That's a little bit too long for me. Although, I haven't measured my basement end to end. ;)

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
2 feet of 1/64th drag strip would be equal to 128 feet. 3 feet would = 192 feet. They'd never get out of first gear. You might be able to stretch that 3 feet with a cleverly designed back drop.

·
Registered
764 Posts
A couple years ago I was going to make a chicken barn in 1/64, and I thought the same thing......WOW!!!!! that looks wrong. Then I put a tractor beside it and then it looked right.

For the dragstrip you might be better off just having the staging lanes and a few feet of the race track Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Wow... how did I come up with 17 feet?

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
yep 20 feet 7inch is correct. thats why i never built a daytona speed way for my nascar.t would take up a 20x20 garage.
me and austin have been talking about this for a couple weeks now. just the straightaway would be 20 ft depending on the track.
i had some break downs of some tracks at one time giving all the turns and straights and even the turns are mind boggling due to the angle in the curves.
gave up and threw the books away.
and thats why thunder dome is over 40 ft long

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've used some measurements before to try and roughly figure out the size of a demo derby arena based off the track at Cayuga, Indiana. Think it ended up being 18" by 24" which is way too big for my liking. Be surprised how quickly that fills up a small diorama!

·
Registered
304 Posts
yea... I was going to make a 1/64 scale martinsville in my room.. a little to big when your room is only 11ft long, so ill just make the track as realistic as possible lol

·
Robot Elder
507 Posts
for 1/64 scale.. 20'7" is the accepted length for a full 1/4 mile in slot cars drag racing... this would be tyco,afx etc.. Tjet's which are smaller we use around 17' forgot the inches... Some have been rumored to find a happy medium between the two lengths and call it "close enough"..

CJ

·
Livin in an Altered State
702 Posts

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
In the scale world sacrifices are always made. Even with the cars. A MB mini cooper is too big, a cadillac coupe deville is too small. It has to fit in the blister pack, has to meet child safety standards, etc.. As far as dio's are concerned, those same sacrifices are necessary too. It would be impractical to make a full sized Talladega Raceway in your toy room, but compromises can be a smaller version of the same track, or a section of one. For a drag strip, a section of track may be sufficient. A staging area, burnout area, the start line and a foot or two of actual track will do. :thumbsup:

As far as car discrepancies, make use of a forced depth perspective by putting the larger out of proportion car in the foreground, and the smaller in the background. This will add depth to the dio. I am amazed what you guys do, and am inspired every time I pay this board a visit!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Since my present set up is 10' X 10' L shaped, I have a bit of room for a few hobbies in one big dio. I combine slot cars, HO trains and diecast for scenery. It will be taken down just before Christmas as we are planning to move this spring. Some time this week I'll post it up here so you guys can have a laugh on the insanity I've been playing with for the past 13 months.. :lol:

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
i agree slotcarman
im working on a how to do a drag track now using 4ft 6 1/2 in long x 12 in pine board.
not sure if anyone is interested thow. so for now ill put in in my files. i started it today and i had nothing else to do anyways..lol
i did a big screw up and now i cant use all the grandstands i made. o well i needed pratice anyways lol. i made them 1/64th scale length instead of 1/87th scale length.
no big deal... like i said i needed the pratice and info. anyways:wave:

·
Registered
304 Posts
i did a big screw up and now i cant use all the grandstands i made. o well i needed pratice anyways lol. i made them 1/64th scale length instead of 1/87th scale length.
no big deal... like i said i needed the pratice and info. anyways:wave:
should'nt they be 1/64? if not i didnt no you collected 1/87 lol

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
i use 1/87th figures so you kinda have to mix both scales together everything is right except the length. i collect 1/87th scale also.
now if i made a track 15 inches wide i could use them. the 12 in wide track im making thay hang off the board. i will make new ones.
now thay would look good on a ho slot track if i had one. lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts