Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
37,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
McDonald's has offered many different themed collectible toys since 1979.

The first diecast series was offered in 1983 and were initially carded mainlines directly from Hot Wheels. Carded examples were offered again in 1988 and 1990.

In 1991, cars were put into bagged versions but still represented castings from that years main line series.

Another series was offered in 1998 with Hot Wheels for boys and Barbie for girls

Around the turn of the Century, the models offered where still labeled as Hot Wheels but designed for kids younger than 3. They were slightly bigger than 1:64 or 3" scale with softer edges. Some examples of known Hot Wheels castings were used with others being new fantasy designs. Those identify the MCD corporation on their base plates and as licensed (and made) by Mattel.

Other diecast brands offered have been Matchbox and Tonka vehicles.

In 2017, they made (4) castings for a McDonald's Malaysia Tomica promotion. During the Fall months a different bagged car was available in the Kid's Happy Meals. They were the - Lotus Exige R-GT, Mazda Roadster, Nissan GT-R, and the Toyota 86.

Other wheeled themed offering have been offered as well.

Sourced references -

Members @Pablodragon
The Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers by Sahakangas, Weber and Foster (2006)

Reactions: samace22

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Wow, weird that you posted this today. Just was reading a post on a Hot Wheels facebook group that this guy said he used to work for Mc'd's back in the day (80's?)... and said this was the whole set of what they gave out the first year... and he kept them this way.... does that sound about right?... were these the ones?

·
Administrator
37,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the right ones. Fandom says the first year for Hot Wheels was 1983. Thanks for posting the pics. I dont think they are marked in any way as having come from McDonalds, but that is super cool that he has them all. Looks like the East Coast mix to me.

Hope you invited him over here to share more photos of these and the rest of his collecition with us - if he has the time and interest!

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I would like to have all of those in my hotwheels collection. 👍

·
Administrator
37,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant remember seeing that many '83 carded castings in one place at one time before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts