Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I checked Craigslist yesterday and a pawn shop here where I live posts they have 2 BIG bins of various carded HW's and JL's with pics. HELL YEAH I'M GOING TO CHECK IT OUT! So with my gf tagging long we make the 8 mile trip.

We get there and find the 2 BIG bins, HOLEY SMOKES I'm thinking, what an awesome find! First bin had $1 marked and the 2nd bin had $2 marked. Carded HW's and JL's, mostly from late 90's to early 00's. I'M IN DIECAST HEAVEN MAN! (I'll post pics later of my haul)

Now I don't go to pawn shops and it was the first time I've seen any pawn shop have diecasts but I didn't care.

As I'm sifting thru the first bin, this lady asks me if I was a collector. I said yes I am. Then she says "Are you a dealer that's going to resale these?" I said "No". Then she asks why do I collect diecasts. I told her "Because I like to collect them and I collect what I like."

Then she asks how much these are worth. I told her it was hard to say and asked if they are still the $1 and $2 as advertised. She appeard annoyed and walked off. I'm thinking what the heck is her problem?:confused:

So after looking through both bins for what seemed like an eternity, I take what I wanted up to the counter. 2 of the cashiers were busy and lo and behold there she was waiting for me. DAMN I'm thinking lol.

So she looks through what I have and asks me again if I'm a dealer. I told her "No I'm not a dealer and I never was." and "that I collect these things for enjoyment." I can tell she didn't believe me and looks at my stuff. She says I did good, REAL GOOD. How I got SUCH A GOOD A** DEAL. I'm thinking what the hell is her problem lol.

Then she says why don't I have the real cars instead of these diecast crap. I told her I like diecast because if fun, I enjoy it and it's cheaper and having the real car would be something I would like someday. So as she bags my stuff she tells me in a snickering way "Could luck selling these for $100 each."

I looked at her with a smirk on my face and said yeah whatever and left. Even my gf thought she was out of line and rude.

So do you all think she was stereotyping the collectors/dealers or what?

Thanks for reading:wave:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find it interesting that she was basically looking down her nose at you because she thought you were a dealer and yet by selling them after buying them herself from a colelctor or colelctors estate makes her a dealer... very strange

I dont know what her angle was but clearly she was out of line and rude.

Brad
For all your diecast & hobby needs, please visit me at Cobra Toys

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Definitely strange lady.....

Like it's her business what you do with your money, I mean Cars ???

Were you being stereotyped ???

You betcha as 90% of us Collectors get pegged as Dealers because of eBay - Swap Meets - Flea Markets etc...

I would of told her I am going to make a billion dollars from them and you CAN'T STOP ME...

As I reached the door to leave I would of turned my head and said thank you for the toy Cars too as my children will love em.... :lol: :lol:

Last laugh would be me laughing at her all the way to my car or is that to the bank ??? .... Oh geeeeeshhhhh... Where is my head :rolleyes:

Damn is sucks being old :lol: j/k

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
It occurred to her that the diecast just might be worth something, and she couldn't just jack the prices on you not knowing the real values. But she didn't want you to think you were getting one over on her. If you really were a dealer, the lady wanted you to know that she's onto you, and that the diecast crap means nothing to her. Just pride is all, typical pawn broker trash, she wants to screw others, and it burns her up that you might be screwing her... Call her up an tell her you just sold one for $300 and listen to her cuss.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Boy ol' boy I hate when that happens! I would have probably gave her the nasty peice of my mind along with a nice talk to her manager on how rude she was. SOrry to all my pals on here who this happens to, as me being younger then most collectors I always either get trashed talk or ignored by the guys who work the toy aisle. The nice ladys are the ones who always seem me picking up the whole aisle HW, JL, Jada, M2 etc. etc. So i'm kinda used to either putting people in there place or letting the manager handle it for me :lol:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Sounds like she may have been a bit simple. They were in a bin with a price. You bought them and now they are your to do what you want with them. So if you were a dealer, they would have cost more than the advertised price? Wack Job.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I don't know if you got stereotyped or not. What does a dealer look like?:confused:
I wonder if this woman (she doesn't sound like a lady) is the owner? Does she take satisfaction in attempting to degrade customers? If you don't think she is the owner or a manager, why not make a return trip and make sure she sees you back at the bins. If she starts her put downs, call her on it.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your haul! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
id go back buy some more, then be like hold on i forgot something and pull out a fake ebay sale printed up showing an insane price with like 5 minutes left and see how easily she gets knotted up! LOL...i dont understand people like that. guess she did not realize they probably came from someone who was trying to sell on ebay LOL.or she was the seller and was mad she could not make 100$ each car and now shes mad because she needs to sell em at 1 and 2$ each LOL.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Lazy

The only reason why she didn't know what they were worth was pure lazy. I mean she could have grabbed a handfull and looked it up on eBay on "completed items" and saw what the market value was on them. She should feel lucky you were buying anything at all. She could be like all of the other dealers and be stuck with a bunch of diecast cars that won't sell because of the economy. Please share some pics of your find. Also post her # so we can call her up and ask her if she is the place selling $100.00 HWs for a buck to a couple a bucks apiece.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would have asked to speak to her manager. A pawn shop is a business with a buy low, sell low, sell quick business plan. If they don't sell quick, they don't make money. And she is complaining about selling stuff??

If she said "I am the manager", I would have said "Sorry, I would rather give Wal-Mart $1 each for their Hot Wheels" and left the cars on the counter, and would never go back there again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for letting me vent a little. I just needed to share my story and to do it on this site with other diecast lovers that understand lol.

Her attitude yesterday put a damper on an otherwise great day. It was obvious she didn't know anything about diecast. Most of the stuff could have easily been sold for more than what they asked so I feel I got a good deal and a great steal lol

I do not know if I'll go back there since it's out of my way travel wise. I was not surprised the people working there were the typical *******, hillbilly type which is common in downtown Omaha and the surrounding areas.

I'll post pics later as I'm at work lol

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would have held up a random car and said, "yep, this one here's worth $40!" then maybe another. Then she could have wasted a bunch of time looking them up one by one on the internet only to realize they are essentially worthless.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Her attitude yesterday put a damper on an otherwise great day.
Let her attitude roll off you like water on a duck's back. It sounds like you got some sweet diecast for a really good price. :thumbsup: You can't really expect too classy of a shopping experience in a pawn place.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Thanks for letting me vent a little. I just needed to share my story and to do it on this site with other diecast lovers that understand lol.

Her attitude yesterday put a damper on an otherwise great day. It was obvious she didn't know anything about diecast. Most of the stuff could have easily been sold for more than what they asked so I feel I got a good deal and a great steal lol

I do not know if I'll go back there since it's out of my way travel wise. I was not surprised the people working there were the typical *******, hillbilly type which is common in downtown Omaha and the surrounding areas.

I'll post pics later as I'm at work lol

You have a great story that many have faced one time or another.....

Do not let people like that bring you down in this Hobby as its a vicious circle that will always repeat itself no matter where you are.

Their is so many ways you could of handled that situation. 1) you could of jumped on your cell phone chatting with your wife and make the sales lady think you were talking to another collector / scalper / dealer. 2) you could of started doing the happy dance in making her think you struck gold. 3) you could of started mumbling prices out loud - this one is worth $25 this one is worth $15 and this one is worth HOLY CRAP $75...:lol:.... I know I do that all the time when I want to mess with people who make a jerk of themselves in public who are selling their items. Is it mean to mess with them ???, I guess it is in some sort of distorted way.

I personally think people forget to leave their backward ass hillbilly personalities at home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts