Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I know that several of you have actually worked on Cg for film and television and I was wondering if you had used Maya or some other software. I am a student at North Metro Tech and we have just started a computer animation program and we are learning to use Maya 7 & 8. Any advice or tidbits of help would be great. I want to be able to animate some of my ship designs, as well as a some of the classic ships of TV and film.

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
I use Maya every day. For VFX and lighting, not for modeling though... I used Modo or Lightwave for that.

Pretty deep programs to be offering random "tidbits" of help though. My advice... practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I am doing already...practicing everyday. I appreciate the advice though. I am curious if you can point me in the direction of any "good" online forum groups or online sites that will give me some good help. There are so many out there, I want to be able to go to the ones with the most accurate and up-to-date resources.

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
Well, the most common 3D forums would probably be CGTalk.com and highend3d.com

But you'd probably be better served looking into some tutorial DVDs from gnomon or buying some of the many books on Maya animation.

Sadly 90% of what is covered online about any 3d package is only about modeling and texturing. Most people never get beyond that. 3D animation is a very tough skill to develop to the professional level, visual effects even more so. Its also quite time consuming and the program skills required are quite high.

I'm not purposefully trying to discourage you, just being a realist.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you think you could discourage me?

I already have a degree in Web and Graphic Design.
I am a natural artist and I work as a professional artist.
I am already trained in standard animation.
I have already enrolled in these classes and I intend to see it through.

Nothing anyone says on these forums could or would discourage me or keep me from my goal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.