Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is coming around that time when I once again have to start looking for Mattel Vac.U.Form clear plastic sheets. To my consternation I'm not able to readily find it sold online at the regular sources I have previously used. I know not many people still have a Vac.U.Form from their youth. Hell..... Most of us who had a Vac.U.Form in their youth aren't still alive ! But that fact aside..... Any body got a line on Mattel Vac.U.Form Clear Plastic Sheets ? ? ? I'm down to my last 50 sheets. I'd prefer the ones that are pre-punched. But beggars can't be choosy . Thanks in advance for any help. I'm still looking too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm pretty sure Mattel hasn't sold sheets for it in decades, but there are options. Awhile back I dug my '60s unit out and refurbed it using the kit sold by the website below. He used to sell sheets himself, but I don't see them listed now.

The sheets he sold were PVC maybe .02" or .03" thick. He thinks PVC works better than styrene for it. His didn't have holes punched in them. He suggested a technique of laying the sheet over the heater awhile, then pressing the top half of the frame onto it, thus perforating it yourself.

I had some success at the perf trick, but it would take some practice to keep from over stretching the holes. The suction pump on mine must be pretty weak, even after refurbishment. I'm considering a way to just connect an electric vacuum to it. I set it aside after may last attempt and have been meaning to mess with it again sometime. I might do that this weekend.

Anyway, the most economical way to get little plastic sheets like that is just make them yourself. You can buy 48"x96" sheets of thin mil PVC or styrene for $20 or $30. Then just cut it into small pieces with a razor knife and yardstick. One sheet should make about 432 3" x 3.5" sheets.

I've not found anybody else who's sold sheets sized for Vac-u-Form, though.

VAC-U-FORM.com

Amazon.com: Online Metal Supply High Impact Polystyrene Plastic Sheet .020" x 48" x 96" - White: Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure Mattel hasn't sold sheets for it in decades, but there are options. Awhile back I dug my '60s unit out and refurbed it using the kit sold by the website below. He used to sell sheets himself, but I don't see them listed now.

The sheets he sold were PVC maybe .02" or .03" thick. He thinks PVC works better than styrene for it. His didn't have holes punched in them. He suggested a technique of laying the sheet over the heater awhile, then pressing the top half of the frame onto it, thus perforating it yourself.

I had some success at the perf trick, but it would take some practice to keep from over stretching the holes. The suction pump on mine must be pretty weak, even after refurbishment. I'm considering a way to just connect an electric vacuum to it. I set it aside after may last attempt and have been meaning to mess with it again sometime. I might do that this weekend.

Anyway, the most economical way to get little plastic sheets like that is just make them yourself. You can buy 48"x96" sheets of thin mil PVC or styrene for $20 or $30. Then just cut it into small pieces with a razor knife and yardstick. One sheet should make about 432 3" x 3.5" sheets.

I've not found anybody else who's sold sheets sized for Vac-u-Form, though.

VAC-U-FORM.com

Amazon.com: Online Metal Supply High Impact Polystyrene Plastic Sheet .020" x 48" x 96" - White: Industrial & Scientific
Thanks ! I'll give them a call Monday..

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the Mattel clear plastic PVC sheets have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. I guess I'll be hording clear plastic that's big enough to cut a Mattel Vac.U.Form sheet out of. Depressing.

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts
Does Evergreen carry them? Not sure how thin you can get them but maybe a picture frame or framing shop has a resource.

What about the hard card sleeves for baseball cards....

·
BANNED
7,785 Posts
most clear packaging can substitute.
many packages that have been formed to create a sort of form fit "bubble", have a flat back to them.
which can be repurposed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts