Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mattel has introduced a new set called Neon Nights challenge race set featuring the pixar cars once again. The set was found at TRU as an exclusive with lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson. Yes the same cars but with variations. McQueen is the same except the water splashes on the sides are not there. Doc Hudson has silver instead of blue headlights, it also dose not have the water splashes on the side, this version also comes with grey wheels. The set #42166 has a darker grey figure 8 track and is priced at around $35. The set was found in the Green Bay WI. area.
Have fun!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Man, I was hoping for something good. Whoever's calling the shots at Mattel's slot car division is dropping the ball BIG TIME. What, does the guy in charge handle the slots when he's not busy cleaning the bathrooms? Guarantee, if I were in charge of it, profits would quadruple or more within the first 12 months. HA! Anyone out there have the money to talk Mattel out of the slot car business, but not know how to market it? Im your man!

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I can understand how the company could want to use the molds that they have, eh.
I missed the set the first time around for 20.00 at WM stores. To get an exclusive item, does a store request that item or does mattel offer it? I am betting that there were enough requests for this set.

How do we get Mattel to package and sell the Funkmaster cars? I don't care to spend the 35.00 each on the bay for the couple that I want, hey!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Im all for using the molds they have, but damn dood....Do we really need 3 near-identical versions each of the '79 trans am, Superbird, and Camaro Cop car? Tyco had a lot of really great molds, but they sit unused.

I agree, I like the Funkmaster Nomad. But beyond that, how do we get Mattel to package and sell ANY individual or twin packs? All they do is bring out 1 or 2 half hearted sets a year, so you have to buy a figure 8 track just to get the cars. The price of the full sets has ranged from $20-$30 where just a few years ago, TRU had the twinpacks for $20. That seems to be a no-brainer to make up some extra cars at least. And you had to act fast since they got snapped up quick. Like I said, someone at Mattel is dropping the ball in a big way.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Just remember...

Mattel makes toys...
Not hobby goods...
TOYS...
There is no care for product life or support.
What we need is Mattel to GIVE it's slotcar rights to someone that understands a hobby.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Even if Mattel were to give you the slot car line, what could you do with it? The amount of capital necessary to finance the issuing of multiple cars and twinpacks would be very high. You would need to get outlets for selling your product and be able to produce on a massive scale.
Now, if they were to put someone in charge of the slot car business who was actually interested in the hobby and was given the resources to produce and market, that would be a major boost to the hobby since Mattel would already have contacts thoughout the world and the production facilities already in place.

Joe

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
noddaz said:
Mattel makes toys...
Not hobby goods...
TOYS...
There is no care for product life or support.
What we need is Mattel to GIVE it's slotcar rights to someone that understands a hobby.
yeah why not autoworld do it??!! more $$ for them!!! makes sense eh??

Wes

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
docsho said:
Mattel has introduced a new set called Neon Nights challenge race set featuring the pixar cars once again. The set was found at TRU as an exclusive with lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson. Yes the same cars but with variations. McQueen is the same except the water splashes on the sides are not there. Doc Hudson has silver instead of blue headlights, it also dose not have the water splashes on the side, this version also comes with grey wheels. The set #42166 has a darker grey figure 8 track and is priced at around $35. The set was found in the Green Bay WI. area.
Have fun!
I picked up a set last year that's sounds similar although it's a battery powered with a Doc and Mc pair of cars running on a sand color figure eight. Picked it up from one of the big box wholesalers for a possible gift to a grandchild and decided they were still too young. When I get this driver software settled, I'll load some pix. :dude: rr

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
This I know...

Grandcheapskate said:
Even if Mattel were to give you the slot car line, what could you do with it? The amount of capital necessary to finance the issuing of multiple cars and twinpacks would be very high. *SNIP*Joe
This I know...
I have even less chance of doing something with this than Mattel does.
Of course it is very unlikely that Matell would give something away anyway...
Just a wondering pondering....
A what if as it were...

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts