Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1:64 scale custom 1992 DJR Shell Team Ford Sierra made from a Matchbox body with wheels from a Hot Wheels (Delorian) car. Painted with Tamiya paint. The Shell Sierras were the first race cars I followed as a 11 or 12 y.o. I watched nearly every race with my dad. I remember John Bowe coming first in both ATCC heats one day in '92.
I've always wanted a 1:64 scale '92 Shell Sierra to go with my BIANTE 2002 DJR Shell Helix Falcons.
Finally that day has come! :tongue:

Created by Redcar666 May 2015

Attachments

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Wow, sharp looking car! You did a great job laying out a very factory looking race car. Congratulations and welcome to Hobby Talk, looking forward to more work you in the future, good looking stuff!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Man, you do some beautiful artistry turning a dollar toy into a model that looks like it came that way!

Welcome Red! :wave:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DJR Shell Sierra

Thanks a lot guys and thanks for the warm welcome! :) I just had to make myself a '92 Shell Sierra because there have only ever been two made, the APEX REPLICAS 1:43 and 1:18 scale "1992 Johnson/Bowe Bathurst 2nd place" (no.17) models. I have them both but I've always wanted the '92 ATCC no.18 John Bowe car. Yeah, my custom was a relatively cheap one. I only had to buy some paint and abrasive finishing paper, which cost AU $37.95. -I have already finished two cars with that and still have enough to do at least one more.. I also have a much more detailed 1:64 scale Sierra (by CM's) that I want to turn into another DJR Sierra but I'm not sure which one I should make yet, possibly the DJR (no.17) '92 Bathurst 2nd place car to go with my APEX REPLICAS.. anyway here is another pic of my first ever custom diecast car, the 1992 John Bowe Sierra on top of BIANTE'S 2002 Paul Radisich Falcon..

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DJR Shell Sierra

Thanks ClearHooter! I heard recently from BIANTE that they might be making more 1:64 scale MINICARS ..I really wish that they would make the 1992 DJR #17 and #18 ATCC season Sierras!!! They already have Commodores and Toranas for Holden, it would be great to have another Ford particularly the '92 Sierras to go with their 2002 Falcons. The '92 DJR Sierras are one of the most iconic cars in Aussie Motorsport ..If you would like to see the Sierras MINICARS as well, now would be the time to let BIANTE know!

Below is an actual picture of John Bowes '92 Sierra (very hard to find)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DJR Shell Sierra

There is some great footage of the "1992 ATCC" on YouTube, it's very easy to find..
Also you can see lots of the DJR Shell Sierra's on the video: "1992 ATCC Barbagallo Round 8 Highlights"
I only recently learnt that the Sierra's have a cool nick-name, "The Whale Tale"

Visitors of Hobby Talk can view pictures of my custom Sierra by clicking "My Photos" or for the rest of the pics
click on my profile (RedCar666) then view my album "DJR Shell Team" :freak:

Below is the customising of my 1992 John Bowe Sierra

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DJR Shell Sierra

Thank you MBXPilot and z06. Yes, they're homemade decals. I'm happy with how they turned out but I will be replacing them when I receive the proper decals from an online (pro) decal maker who makes DJR decals. I made my decals for the #18 Sierras on a regular computer app and standard printer. It was difficult to find all the pictures for the stickers on Google and rather time consuming adjusting all the pictures to the right size (or compromise) but I've always wanted a #18 Shell Sierra, so it was worth it. Like I've said before I wish one of the model companies that make ATCC cars would just make an #18 John Bowe Sierra from '92. Although these two custom #18 cars were a lot of fun to make! Also, yes it was very cool and a lot easier to make customs with an existing casting, my customs are a 1:43 scale Apex Replicas Sierra that I just had to put a few new homemade decals on, and a 1:64 scale Matchbox Sierra that I put new wheels on, painted and put the full set of my homemade decals on. The customs were loads of fun to make!! :)

This attachment is my 1:43 scale custom 1992 DJR Shell Sierra #18 driven by John Bowe

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts