Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick search tells me that I didn't strike it rich, and some of the pieces are in rough shape, but this is my first real vintage group of cars. My intention was to get them and restore them, but I think now that I wouldn't touch a thing on them. I have identified pretty much everything. The ones with questions marks, I may need some help. After opening this box, I don't think I want to go to WalMart anymore. .

I have identified the bus and see that pieces are missing, but have no idea what the wagon behind it is part of ???

Have no idea what this guy is. The only markings are LESNEY ENGLAND 25
???

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
You did very well for $15 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would leave them the way they are in condition and not paint them - fix the wheels but leave everything else as is as each one has their own story.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was gung ho on repainting them, but as I took each one out, knew there would be no way. Every bit of missing paint on these, as you said, has a story.
You did very well for $15 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would leave them the way they are in condition and not paint them - fix the wheels but leave everything else as is as each one has their own story.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was a little giddy when I realized the Studebaker wagon wasn't missing a piece on the back, but has a functional, intact, sliding roof panel. :p

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I was a little giddy when I realized the Studebaker wagon wasn't missing a piece on the back, but has a functional, intact, sliding roof panel. :p
I noticed that too.... It shows ya that Diecast was made very well back in the day to stand the test of time.

Todays Cars being made like that would of been broken in 5 mins of play.

Quality is in the cars from the 60s back.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Looks like most of the gray wheels ones are real early with metal wheels.
On these wheels you will see the actual series number like 'No. 25' on the blue van, and corosponds with the series number on the base.

The yellow #43 Shovel somehow has the incorrect wheels on the rear.

The Steam Engine is a Models of Yesteryear Y-9, and the London Bus is also Models of Yesteryear.
All Lesneys you will find the series number on the bottom...Stude is #42, etc.

The pink #38 Honda bike technically belongs on the other Superfast trailer...that's the newest piece you have there, from about 1970 - 1971.

Fun stuff!

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome ! Thanks. This older stuff opens up a whole new world.

Looks like most of the gray wheels ones are real early with metal wheels.
On these wheels you will see the actual series number like 'No. 25' on the blue van, and corosponds with the series number on the base.

The yellow #43 Shovel somehow has the incorrect wheels on the rear.

The Steam Engine is a Models of Yesteryear Y-9, and the London Bus is also Models of Yesteryear.
All Lesneys you will find the series number on the bottom...Stude is #42, etc.

The pink #38 Honda bike technically belongs on the other Superfast trailer...that's the newest piece you have there, from about 1970 - 1971.

Fun stuff!

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Yes they might not all be minty fresh but they have this vintage charme of history and played with condition. There is some nice stuff there, definitely, and I'm one of those people who would only agree with restoring cars from the 1990s and later, personally. I think it takes away from it. Even if they're really bad beaters, they're still somewhat original. But that's just me.

If you really want to read up a bit about regular wheels and the variations, I'd recommend www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk which is a page I visit regularly (no pun intended). Awesome stuff there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts