Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance a buy a Masudaya YM-3 16 inch robot for a steal of a price. But someone has painted this vinyl model with the wrong kind of paint. The paint is still tacky !!!! Is there anyway to remove the paint without harming the model??? I don't know what kind of paint was used. Can someone help me ??

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
If its still sticky, its probably enamel

I had one of those models once and IIRC you can take the electronics out of the chest. If so, try soaking the body in Super Clean or Simple Green Concentrate. That will remove the paint.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,050 Posts
What deej said. The paint will come off with many types of removers; Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner or Polly S Easy Lift-Off are increasingly strong removers if needed. None of these items will harm the vinyl.

You should prime your Robot before you repaint it. Here's a link to one of many forum threads that contains information on how to go about it: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=367826&highlight=priming+vinyl. Good luck with your model!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to you guys, I went ahead and bought the YM-3 robot. And when it's all said and done, I will only have $35.00 in him. It's gonna take some work. But that isn't a bad price for something that Ebay is trying to get $300.00 plus out of. So I got my son going to town now for the Easy-Off !!!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark, you hit the nail on the head !!! The Easy-Off Fume Free Oven cleaner works like a charm !!! I would have never guessed it would work so well. Thanks for everything.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,050 Posts
Good for you, deech!

For some reason, the Fume-Free formulation is recommended by FineScale Modeler magazine, and it has always worked for me. Glad it did for you, too (hope you wore some sort of protective gloves while spraying this stuff).

deej,

I think Testors or somebody owns the ELO brand now. Yes, it can attack injection-molded and resin kits. I've learned to use it only on really stubborn spots, and then not to leave the stripper on the model for more than a couple hours. I'm especially careful when using it on thin or small parts. But it is useful as a last resort.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
DCH, be careful what primer you use on vinyl. Some will never cure/dry and will stay tacky. Test it on a part that you can either easily remove it or where it will never be seen. Personally I had Krylon gray primer stay tacky on a vinyl model and sprayed Rustoleum gray primer over that and all was well.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
]I think Testors or somebody owns the ELO brand now. Yes, it can attack injection-molded and resin kits. I've learned to use it only on really stubborn spots, and then not to leave the stripper on the model for more than a couple hours. I'm especially careful when using it on thin or small parts. But it is useful as a last resort.
I notice on the RPM (parent company for Testors, Poly Scale, Floquil and Pactra) web site that Poly Scale is totally gone. They just have Testors and the Floquil brand names. ELO is now a Testors product. It's on the Testors web site but oddly places like Tower Hobbies who stock Testors, don't handle it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.