1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
I wish I could help with the pics, but sorry.

I'm rather bummed in a way by the MR replicas. They're really nice and I'd love to have them, but they are simply outrageously priced. I'll just have to settle for an AA replica/toy and/or hope to win some decent cash in a lottery or something.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the D-7 you could get an Atomic City 28.5" unlit version for under $300 bucks.

True, that is not cheap, but still far less then the probable $800 bucks the MR lighted version will probably cost.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I thought the MR D-7 would NOT be lighted, since the original TOS miniature wasn't lit...I would think that would keep the cost down to maybe the $600 range at most...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have the feeling they will light a lot of the ports that were merely decaled, both so they can charge more and also to make the model look more realistic.

After all, if their aim was to make an exact copy of studio miniatures then the 11 foot Enterprise studio miniature would have to have been modeled with mini galvanized piping and duct tape holding wires to the port side of the TOS E's hull, to have been accurate to the filming miniature.

My point being that they are trying to model the character that was the U.S.S. Enterprise - not the actor, i.e. an exact copy of the miniature itself.

The decals on the Klingon D-7 obviously were supposed to be windows, so I see no harm in them doing them as lighted ports.

Just my personal opinion though. :)
I'm willing to bet not everyone would agree, which is their right.

·
Starship Class
11,937 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
I have the feeling they will light a lot of the ports that were merely decaled, both so they can charge more and also to make the model look more realistic.

After all, if their aim was to make an exact copy of studio miniatures then the 11 foot Enterprise studio miniature would have to have been modeled with mini galvanized piping and duct tape holding wires to the port side of the TOS E's hull, to have been accurate to the filming miniature.

My point being that they are trying to model the character that was the U.S.S. Enterprise - not the actor, i.e. an exact copy of the miniature itself.

:thumbsup: The decals on the Klingon D-7 obviously were supposed to be windows, so I see no harm in them doing them as lighted ports.

Just my personal opinion though.
I'm willing to bet not everyone would agree, which is their right.
Yes, the idealized version is what most of us are seeking--within bounds. It'd be nice to have the actual colors that were used on the models but it'd be going a little too far to include special effects support details clearly not intended to be seen on camera.

BTW: I happen to be more than happy with the old AMT version of the Klingon ship--with just a few modifications to make it more like the screen version. :cool:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PerfesserCoffee said:
Yes, the idealized version is what most of us are seeking--within bounds. It'd be nice to have the actual colors that were used on the models but it'd be going a little too far to include details not intended to be seen on camera.

BTW: I happen to be more than happy with the old AMT version of the Klingon ship--with just a few modifications to make it more like the screen version. :cool:
I'd have to agree with all of the above, though I'm not sure what you mean by "details not intended to be seen on camera."

·
Starship Class
11,937 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
I'd have to agree with all of the above, though I'm not sure what you mean by "details not intended to be seen on camera."
Well, such as the wiring and duct tape on the "wrong side" of the 1701 model for example.

·
Starship Class
11,937 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:
I still think it would be interesting to see if anyone could incorporate the outside wiring as some sort of greeblie effect. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts