Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Master Replicas plans to release anymore Enterprise models, say of the A, D, or E? I'd love to have a large scale replica of those.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hard to say. I've heard nothing about any future releases.

With the beating they are taking over the TOS E release, I'd say no.

Imagine the difficulty of replicating the Refit's paint job if they can't get the TOS E's correct.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I didn't buy the TOS E due to price, and looking at quality, glad I didn't. I'd have to say I would not purchase any of their future ships, if any, for the same reason.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The E has been mentioned by a rep as possibility a few years out.
I did buy a ship, had to return for failed lights, waiting on a replacement.
Price is steep sure, but a custom build up of the same thing would cost thousands more. Ain't perfect, but stunning in person. Attention to obscure details is amazing.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
CessnaDriver said:
The E has been mentioned by a rep as possibility a few years out.
I did buy a ship, had to return for failed lights, waiting on a replacement.
Price is steep sure, but a custom build up of the same thing would cost thousands more. Ain't perfect, but stunning in person. Attention to obscure details is amazing.
I agree.

John Duncan said:
Hard to say. I've heard nothing about any future releases.

With the beating they are taking over the TOS E release, I'd say no.

Imagine the difficulty of replicating the Refit's paint job if they can't get the TOS E's correct.
I love mine, and I doubt that they are taking a "beating" on the TOS E based on the most recent customer ratings.

You have to see one of these things to fully appreciate it.
And while there are things I would change about her(a couple of very minute things) it's still an incredible build.

Please realize John that early on complaints will always dominate gushing endorsements. I do realize that this thread is a bit old, but have to point out now that the overwhelming majority of customer that have gotten their TOS E's are happy with them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was using a gross generalization there. I have my MR TOS E and it's not perfect but *is* a work of art. Most folks are not using micrometers and paint chips to judge how their's looks. But we hardcore Trekkies tend to do that.

It would be a leap of faith that MR could pull off the TMP E or Refit with the complex paint job they had. It's even difficult for most to replicate it on the PL Refits. We tend to idealize our own perception of these fictional ships and after so many years of expectations, it's not hard to be dissatisfied by one company's "idealistic" version as opposed to our own.

When you look at close ups of the Refit (Phase Pistol's especially), you can see that the panels were of differing colors and shapes, put down semi orderly. We as idealistic fans would expect those panels to be perfectly placed to match our perception of the Refit, not necessarily what the actual miniature looked like.

This has been the trouble with the TOS E, when the miniature was shown to have some weathering. Many decried the inclusion of that on the MR ship since they could not *see* it in the sfx of the show. So our perception gets us into trouble.

Eek, I rattled on too much on that....

:)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
John Duncan said:
...We tend to idealize our own perception of these fictional ships and after so many years of expectations, it's not hard to be dissatisfied by one company's "idealistic" version as opposed to our own...

...This has been the trouble with the TOS E, when the miniature was shown to have some weathering. Many decried the inclusion of that on the MR ship since they could not *see* it in the sfx of the show. So our perception gets us into trouble...
I have no problem with people who want accurate prop replicas. However, many folks want a model of what's on the screen. That is, after all, what the filmmaker intends to be seen. For those who want such models, their perceptions are the standard by which to judge a model.

MR's website ad copy might be taken to represent either a prop replica, or a screen model, but my interpretation leans toward the latter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I fully understand wanting a replica of what we all saw on the screen. I was not sure about all that weathering at first either. But the replica is a nice one and I'm happy to have it, given that I would probably never build one on my own.

I'm still fussing over my PL Refit kit!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have been holding off on purchasing this item for the not so great reviews that it seems to have gotten. The reviews I am referring to are the ones at MRs' own site.

I did take into account that the first 30 or so would be questionable, but for now, the only way I can see myself in buying one is by seeing one in person.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hear you StarManmm....I went the other route and bought Cessna's from MR (or a reseller?) at a reduced price..granted the bridge lights don't work...she's still the best item I have in my collection.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I got a price of 178 plus shipping on a 16x16x36 acrylic case for my MR E.

casesforcollectibles.com

ask for the MR Enterprise case.
tell em Lou sent ya. They won't do anything, but maybe we can start a movement...(alice's restaurant, anone?)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Pyxl said:
I hear you StarManmm....I went the other route and bought Cessna's from MR (or a reseller?) at a reduced price..granted the bridge lights don't work...she's still the best item I have in my collection.
Ummmmm, how did you do that???? And what may I ask was the cost???

·
Registered
716 Posts
"AJCollecting" sells MR returned material on eBay. We are not sure exactly how it works, conjecture that it may be MR itself unloading rejects.

I recognized the one I returned when it went up for auction.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As of 1:50pm PST on 9-Mar-07 and 26 votes, the poll (Rate the MR TOS Enterprise on a scale of one (worst) to ten (best)) results are 7.9±0.5 / 10; a C+.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the reason I started this thread, is because I would love to have a MR Refit, or Enterprise-E. That would be so awesome.

·
Registered
64 Posts
starmanmm said:
C+.

Lets see if time will change this rating?
It has:

As of 1:06pm PDT on 12-Mar-07 and 28 votes, the poll (Rate the MR TOS Enterprise on a scale of one (worst) to ten (best)) results are 8.0±0.5 / 10; a B-.

Surf over and take a look at the poll page. I've made posts ever so often showing the average results. The results are pretty stable right around the 8/10 level. Of course, there are only 28 votes. So if you own one of the MR TOS 1701 models, go there and vote.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts