Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

Thought I'd just share my WIP pics with you of my AMT 18"er Star Trek kits.

So far I only have 1 of the new ones and the rest are from @ 1986-1991 with the raised grid lines on the top of the saucer.

I'm moving from one sub assembly to the next with these 7 kits. So I decided to start with the secondary hull first, as it needs the most putty work along the seams.

Here's a shot of 7 different secondary hulls from the AMT 18" Enterprise kit. I decided to build all of my old Star Trek kits at the same time and convert 2 of these 7 as the 1st and 2nd Pilot Film ships. (But they won't be Enterprise) Others in this line-up will include a 100% Box Stock AMT kit with no modifications and original decals, a FJ Blueprint conversion, and some damaged ones as well.

All my 18"er's are going to follow FJ's name/number system. These 7 models will be joined by a damaged #8 built from junked 18"er parts and 3 complete kits of mine from the past : The Yorktown, Republic and Enterprise. That will bring my numbers up to 11 out of 14 ships, as I will also add in a U.S.S. Defiant in glow paint.

To make AMT's 18" Enterprise kit match the Pilot and 2nd Pilot Enterprise kits, you have to modify the rear shuttle bay doors by filing off the observation tower and then filling in the slats between the doors.

This is because in the 1st and 2nd Pilot films, the shuttle bay area wasn't established. In fact, some early publicity drawings showed flames coming from this area.

This is a comparison of the rear of the two ships.

More to come!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Getting ready to deploy the fleet, Trev...? LOL!

Interesting way to do those. I've got a whole bunch packed away myself but I should get the ones I've got up and out tended to first. These include a Second Pilot version, a rebuild w/ Accurate Parts, an old Aurora issue kit undergoing restoration, a partial build obtained from a friend who abandoned the project (and needing replacement parts, already on the way) and a couple of partially accurized kits using resin hulls. One of those is a stock kit with the now-unavailable Fed mods Accurate Saucer and a resin TM "seconds" saucer and secondary hull that needed a lot of work to smooth out the casting flaws and bubbles (these were never sold by TM, I got them through another source) and using a spare set of stock AMT engines. This last one will take a lot longer to finish, though. The front of the secondary hull is cast in a way that the deflector rings are a separate part. I don't have those and will probably have to find a way to scratchbuild or modify existing parts to fill that area.

Oh yeah, a "Doomsday Damaged Starship" resin conversion kit needing repairs! ;)

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you happen to have some parts you don't want? :D

I have some bits to make another secondary hull, but I'd need the rest, including warp engines, a saucer, deflector, etc. doesn't matter if they came from a glue-bomb, junk box either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts