Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody out there has any info on the Marx company. I reciently came across a very cool 1/64 VW Bug. It is Zamac with a tin interior, and zamac painted base, tin hubs and hard rubber (?) tires. I really dig this casting. At Retro Fest (AutoFest) I obtainesd a Ford GT (GT 40) from this company only in a smaller scale 1/70 or so. I really like these castings.:wave:

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
These are the Mini Marx (around 1/70th) I have (FSorT, I might add :)). I don't know much about them as they came in a lot I bought.

IMG]http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt312/bumpman33/For%20sale/Marx/107_0210.jpg[/IMG]IMG]http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt312/bumpman33/For%20sale/Marx/107_0211.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have seen a tiny few of these but the tin interior is always missing,so until looking here I didnt realise that interiors were fitted once, its great to learn new things, thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have seen a tiny few of these but the tin interior is always missing,so until looking here I didnt realise that interiors were fitted once, its great to learn new things, thanks!
I think many Marx did not have interiors, built to compete with the simple TootseiToy castings of the day...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I picked these up a few years back. The guy I got them from had a couple of dump trucks also.
The GT has the interior as noted.

The Vette is along the lines of a tootsie toy.

As is the Chapperel

·
Registered
823 Posts
Marx also had a distribution centre in Swansea, Wales which served the whole of the UK. This link enabled Marx to sub contract work to a number of companies in Hong Kong.

The toy cars below are clearly inspired by the 1965 Indianapolis 500 winner - a Lotus 38 driven by Jim Clark which carried the number '82'. The '500' link is further enforced by the information on the header card. The "Roll Free Wheels" is an attempt by Marx to cash in on Mattel's "Hot Wheels" phenomena. So I guess this model dates from the late 1960's. It was manufactured in Hong Kong.

Construction is interesting. The base is die-cast metal and the body is tinplate. Engine and exhaust system are plated plastic as are the wheel hubs. The tyres are real rubber. Finishing touches include a clear plastic windscreen, plastic steering wheel and a plastic driver figure.

I bought both the red and green versins back in the late 1980's and paid a princely sum of 95p for each one.

Mini Marx 500 Type Racer 1 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Mini Marx 500 Type Racer 2 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Mini Marx 500 Type Racer 3 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Mini Marx 500 Type Racer 4 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Base detail showing Marx logo and "Made in Hong Kong". Note the tinplate body tabs hooked over the die-cast base.

Chris

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Speaking of 1965 and old number 82:

I just saw it at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum; most previous winners were on display because it was the 100th Anniversary of the race!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts