Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I Picked up this set " Grand Am Classic ". It had a Pair of Mercedes GTP cars and a couple of extra chassis in it. I am not an HO guy so I was looking for info. I have found a ref to the set as a vendor specific but nothing on the cars if they were issued only in this set or individually or what they are worth? Thanks

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There is a Marchon guide which was put out a few years ago that lists 99.9% of all the known Marchon cars. These two cars came in a few variations, but are not rare. Some variations were set only.

Most Marchon cars came in sets or (I believe) via mail order. There were very few packaged Marchon cars.

Those Marchon cars, in perfect condition, would probably be between $18 and $20; and then probably only from a collector. In used condition, maybe $10.

You can find some really well running Marchon chassis. You may find that even though some chassis look alike, some have much stronger traction magnets than others.

Marchon quality control was not very good. A lot of brand new bodies may look used, or look like they were done by someone in a rudimentary art class. But they are still be fun.

You may find they have a longer guide pin than most cars, so be careful if you take them to other types of tracks. Also be careful with the body clips on the red one. I have a few where the inside tabs break off fairly easily.

Joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe that helps. The cars are used as the pick up shoes have wear. The bodies are clean and damage free. Gives me an idea anyway on what they would be worth as trade items. thanks

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Its a cliche I know, but theyre worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Ive seen those go for decent coin on the 'Bay--all it takes is 2 guys in a 'who wants it more' battle.

Joe is right about the QC. Some of the bodies look decent, but some of the paint schemes look bad even for something you'd find at Big Lots.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I got a whole bunch of Marchon cars.They are very fast around the track & & handle well. You can repair one series (Black chassis)with the TYCO HP-7 parts kit although the red & yellow need the unique p/u shoes from a Marchon parts kit if you can find it (Marchon is now where Pontaic & Saturn are heading)They bit the dust about a decade ago I think.They were bought by "Empire" toys but that did not last too long.Many seem to be copies of TYCO bodies like the Firebird & T-Bird although they had their own unique bodies like the Jeep & MBz Racer's you have.
I like them for their crude "FUNK" factor !
The chassis tend to break easily but are repairable with Super Glue gel & plastruct.

Neal:dude:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The chassis tend to break easily but are repairable with Super Glue gel & plastruct.
Here's another tip on repairing Marchon chassis.

A while back I bought a number of NOS Marchon chassis. Some of them were so brittle that the little nub that goes inside the window of the pickup shoe broke off before I even used the chassis.
What I did was cut a small piece of steel off a paper clip. I then cut a notch into the front of the chassis (with a dremel) and glued in the steel from the paper clip so it stuck out just like the original nub. You'll probably need tweezers or some other small tool as the piece you cut off the paper clip is really short. Just be careful that the metal does not go as far back and interfere with the long wheelbase front axle. And WA-LA, a broken chassis is now perfectly useable.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts