Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to call this the collector column, because there are so many neat things that are made, that collectors couldn't care less about. One neat item which comes to mind, are the promotional Campbell HO sets from a few years back.

In another column, I mention some battery locomotives I got recently, at the 99 Cent store. And, Scott showed a souvenir of the Seattle World's Fair monorail. So much neat stuff! I figure this can be a good place to talk about interesting finds, whether collectible or not.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Can't we talk about whatever interests us, as long as it is train related? I have trains I run all the time, I have others, like my Matchbox Railroad, that sit in displays and haven't run in years.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scrambler81 said:
...Can't we talk about whatever interests us, as long as it is train related?...
Absolutely! Did I make a mistake, in starting so many threads?

scrambler81 said:
...I have trains I run all the time, I have others, like my Matchbox Railroad, that sit in displays and haven't run in years.
I certainly understand. Me, too(although, substitute other stuff, for Matchbox). Talk about whatever train stuff you like; that's the idea!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, the idea for this column, is manufactured trains, as opposed to hand-made models. They don't have to be collectible. One example might be after-Xmas bargains.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i think that this is a good idea......but when you look at trains you can always tell if they are hand made or manufactoures.....look at lionel how nice some of them are....thats why the cost is so high.....you are paying for all the deatil but sometimes they can get sloppy.....on some hand painted figures it just looks so sloppy....although when you look at some of the building they look so nice and the same with some of the engines

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
partyplatedave said:
i think that this is a good idea......but when you look at trains you can always tell if they are hand made or manufactoures.....look at lionel how nice some of them are....thats why the cost is so high.....you are paying for all the deatil but sometimes they can get sloppy.....on some hand painted figures it just looks so sloppy....although when you look at some of the building they look so nice and the same with some of the engines
Actually, there are artists and craftsmen here who can make models which are as nice, or nicer, than factory-manufactured stuff. Did you see Brent Gair's scratchbuilt Spindrift model?

The reason I started this thread, is just to focus on what manufactured train finds you may run across in stores, at yard sales, or train meets- where ever. They don't have to be rare collectibles, just whatever you like, or think someone else might like to hear about.

I think hand-built models should have a thread of their own.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
i just picked up one of the bachmann dcc commander trains it is actually pretty nice. the dcc system it comes with will operate almost all other manufacturers trains. you can run up to 9 dcc and one analog with what is provided in the box and you can add on the 5 amp booster (need to to run more than the 2 dcc equipped engines that come in the kit) you can also add the walk around unit and walk around panels to put in your walk around type layout, the easy track blows but for a beginner train set overall it is a nice setup, when i start to build a layout i am going to use different track, and the only thing i did notice is that bachmann made sure to include on the instruction dvd (thats right i said DVD) do not run analog engines on the dcc system for long periods of time because the motors had a tendancy to burn up. i also have a dewitt clinton that i bought and it has never been ran i am hoping it will be worth some cash one day, (HE HE HE HE ).

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have recently looked at some Kline buildings and they actually arent bad.....I like that they are less expensive and dont look super realistic.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got my first Tyco HO RR set for Christmas in 1969. In hobby magazines of that period, I think a lot of folks pooh-pooh Tyco's then-recent production as mere Toys, but the plastic bodies could provide a lot of detail and variety, for minimal cost. After about 8 years of building and expanding a complex 4x8 layout (Not large, I know - I used 3 or 4 blocks and some nice yard/sidings, and a figure-8 within a larger oval 'Express' track) with Aurora T-Jet track for scenic roadway also, it all came down and was packed away.

Now when I contemplate re-entering the hobby, there is so much more to consider using, and elaborate control systems. There are so many acronyms used as shorthand, that I frequently get lost, while reading hobby articles and website posts. It is a challenge to "catch up" with all the changes!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Try going to www.greatesthobby.com and look around in there. That site is geared towards bringing new people into the hobby, so they explain the basics pretty well. www.trains.com is also pretty good at providing info to get you started.
I prefer to keep my railroad simple. I've got little kids running around, so getting into a ton of detail would only add to my stress. I'll wait until my boys are bigger before I start getting in real deep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts