Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the latest perfromance gains looks like I need to buy a new ESC to replace my trust Novak GTB. Can somebody please let me know what my money would be best spent on? Most of what I hear says it will be either the new Mamba Max or Tekin with the latest software upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

Al

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
This is a can of worms. But I know you are just looking for advice.

I like the Tekin. I won this past weekend first time out with it against people with Mambas that had 3+ weeks on theirs for tuning.

If you can wait till after Snowbirds to buy one you will be able to see what is what...LRP, Tekin, Black Diamond, or Mamba

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Alan. I plan on waiting until after the Birds to see how the Kinetic performs and how the Tekin and Mamba compare.

I'd also argue its not just about raw out-the-door performance. Each ESC has a technical limit at which point software won't be enough to make it faster. Which has the highest ceilling? Who knows.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I would like to wait, but now that folks are running the new stuff-if you don't have it too you're getting lapped about every 3 or so. Might as well not show up to run if you have a Novak GTB like me. Makes it hard to wait, but I see what you're saying.

·
Registered
292 Posts
All i know is I blew a phase out of my tekin one time and they sent me a new one while i shipped mine back. That alone really sold me on tekin customer service.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
The Mamba set the bar, and Tekin has done well in catching up. If the electronic performance is the same, then technically, the Tekin would be the best, as it's smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
from what i have seen the Tekin while they have mad huge strides they don't get off the corner like the mamba does.

I f i were you i would wait and see what the fast guys at the birds are running. I can tell you Team KSG has ran all 3 and are running the fastest with the Mamba.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
it's funny how the NE guys have figured them out and consistanly leave the rest in the dust. what are you guys doing down there??? quit worrying about your tans and figure it out already.

LOL

buy a tekin, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Buy the Mamba. It is hands down the fastest. Went from running a 4.001 fast lap and a 4.1 average with the tekin to running 3.7 fast lap and averaging 3.880 with the mamba. it may be a little bigger but it makes up for it in power. If it was the same size as the tekin it would be probably a tenth or two faster. Castle claims to be the leader in brushless power and after running the Max Pro I believe it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Alan, at Easley, where I assume you will be racing, they are both fairly equal. Our outdoor, 365' track is much different than the small carpet stuff most of these guys are racing on.

We did away with 21.5/2c permanently because of the speed increase and went to all single cell classes. They were simply too fast and everyone feared tearing up a lot of stuff.

So, either one is going to suite you just fine at Easley. Me personally, I would get the Tekin but I don't think you will go wrong either way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also, check with your track. The Mamba Max pro is not allowed at more than one track due to its timing curve change, considered cheating at some tracks and not allowed. Guys are running faster by a large margin. I do believe this is in 4 cell classes only right now. And as soon as Tekin and Novak put the software to theirs too it will be fair game again.

·
Faster than davepull
1,265 Posts
Also, check with your track. The Mamba Max pro is not allowed at more than one track due to its timing curve change, considered cheating at some tracks and not allowed. Guys are running faster by a large margin. I do believe this is in 4 cell classes only right now. And as soon as Tekin and Novak put the software to theirs too it will be fair game again.
lol......Time warp

1 - 20 of 187 Posts