Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a LSR car and need a windscreen> I've looked at different airplane windscreens and nothing is close to what I need. Is it possible for a semi-capable builder to make his own? Are there kits out there to do this? Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
298 Posts
There are 2 ways (that I know of) to make windshields. One is to have an old Mattel Vac-U-Form in working condition. :D I have found that clear rigid vinyl .010 inch thick works very well. (various colors the same thickness also work well) Lexan and acrylics don't work well at all. I suspect it is heat and they are not as formable. The other way is to heat and stretch a sheet over a form. This can give good results but tends to be rather wasteful of plastic.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Is there a good vacuform set on the market at a reasonable price? The heatgun process is - well, let's just say I'm kinda clumsy sometimes, and methods like that aren't my first choice. And I'm really loathe to try home methods that involve loads of melted plastic dripping all over the inside of your oven.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
Go to www.squadron.com and search for "thermoform plastic" sheet. it's their own brand for forming canopies. You first have to have a form to shape it over. Then the heat the plastic over a candle flame of heat gun. When it softens, you just pull it over the form and voila! I've made many a canopy with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tip. I looked at the old vac-u-form kit from mattel and it isn't big enough for my canopy. this looks like exactly what I need

1 - 7 of 7 Posts