Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After airbrushing is there anything I can do to make the the paint smooth on the plastic surface of the models?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It should already be smooth - that's the point of using an airbrush. How "smooth" are you talkin' about here? Do you wanna give it a high gloss sheen?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What type of paint are you using? If it is el cheapo craft paint like Apple barrel, Plaid etc.
I heartily recommmend thinning it with Future Floor Polish. You will be amazed at how Future enhances this type of paint and its application through an airbrush.

If you don't have a product you can thin with Future then just glosscoat the finished kit with the Future. Future is self leveling and it should be smooth if not applied so heavily that it will run. Then if you need the finish flat then spray again with a good quality clear flat.

Max Bryant

·
Registered
982 Posts
I use spray cans, so take from this what you will. Model Masters paints leave small bumps in the paint surface. This might not bother most, but it's unacceptable to me.

I use Tamiya paint spray cans, and they leave a VERY smooth surface. They cost more, but are worth it to me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wet sand!

I am building a large scale refit (6 feet long), because of the amount of surface area I am using Rustoleum for the basecoat and I get some overspray. I wet sand with 600 grit and it comes out so smooth I have to rough it back up a bit when when I airbrush details over it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts