Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not knowing all things Star Wars has there ever been a behind the scenes/making of Star Wars ever released on DVD?

I checked on Amazon but only found old VHS tapes. Anyone know of any DVDs?

Thanks,
hal9001-

·
Curmudgeon
6,624 Posts
Not sure about the Blu-Ray Edition, but the DVD release had a seperate Bonus CD with Lots of behind the sceenes stuff.
To be more specific, this was a box set that contained the 2004 versions of the Not-So-Special-Editions of the Original Trilogy movies and a fourth disc with bonus features that included a 150-minute documentary about the making of the three movies and a few other featurettes. It's hard to find these days, but not impossible.

Personal opinion--the documentary is very good, but it's not worth paying the current asking price for a new set if that's all you're interested in. But if you can find a used set in good condition for a price you can live with, jump on it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yeah, I work at a MovieStop, and the current price for a USED copy of the original trilogy 4 DVD set is $39.99. They don't make the DVD editions of any of the films anymore. I am expecting Lucasfilm and Fox to release single BLu-Ray movie editions by the end of the year.

I am basing that on the fact that WB is releasing the individual LOTR extended ediitons on Blu-Ray in August.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yes, I talked with one of the movie staff at Amoeba Music in Hollywood, and he said 20th had all the DVDs pulled the day the Blurays dropped. This mainly applied to big-box chains. You can't find the ThinPak releases or the individual releases or the 4-disc set anywhere but in used/independent stores. At Amoeba, the going price for the 2006 two-disc release of The Empire Strikes Back is $24.99 used. However, I saw a 4-disc widescreen set at Second Spin for the same price. Check secondspin.com and see what they're asking for as opposed to Amazon.

·
Registered
553 Posts
There was a tv special back in the 80's that was hosted by Mark Hammill, C3PO and R2D2.

i had that on disc years ago, it may still be available.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the original updated three box set that I've had sence it was first released. If I knew it had an extra DVD on the 'behind the scenes' I had forgotten about it. It may have just what I'm looking for.

I've see documentaries on TV over the years showing the model making and the special effects filming and that's what I'm looking for. I'll have to pull out my box set, dust if off and watch the special features!

Thanks for all the info guys.

hal9001-

·
Registered
332 Posts
Are you talking about "Empire of Dreams"? It was part of the DVD release of the Original Trilogy SE several years ago. It was also shown on A&E.

It's a pretty good film, and totally worth watching if for any other reason then you get to hear Mark Hamill say, "the Wookie has no pants", which has become a catch phrase in our household when things go wrong.

On a side note, this is not the forum to post about films. That's a different forum, so don't be surprised if it gets moved. :)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a side note, this is not the forum to post about films. That's a different forum, so don't be surprised if it gets moved. :)
I know, I cheated. I never go to the 'Movie/TV' forums and if I had posted it there I may have forgotten about it! Don't ask....:(

Thanks for the info though. :thumbsup:

hal9001-

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
If you have a 3-disc set, you don't have the special features. One year after the original Star Wars Trilogy was released in a 4-disc set, it was issued as a 3-disc set without the bonus disc.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a 3-disc set, you don't have the special features. One year after the original Star Wars Trilogy was released in a 4-disc set, it was issued as a 3-disc set without the bonus disc.
I just looked and I was mistaken, I've got the four disc set with the bonus DVD! I don't recall ever watching the bonus disc so I'll do so over the next couple of nights!

Thanks for the info,
hal9001-

·
Curmudgeon
6,624 Posts
Are you talking about "Empire of Dreams"? It was part of the DVD release of the Original Trilogy SE several years ago. It was also shown on A&E.

It's a pretty good film, and totally worth watching if for any other reason then you get to hear Mark Hamill say, "the Wookie has no pants", which has become a catch phrase in our household when things go wrong.
Yep, that's the 150-minute doc included in the box set I linked to.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
FROM STAR WARS TO JEDI
The making of the Star Wars trilogy

This is what you need to find. This is the original uncut, unbastardised version of the original filming documentary. It's at the very beginning of the original trilogy videos - the ones I have. This was BEFORE A new hope was put at the top of the opening draft explaining: "It was a time of unrest". Almost impossible to find anywhere.

It's almost non-existant, but if you can find it BUY IT!!

~ Chris

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah Chirs, I think something older is what I'm looking for, not the 'bonus' material found on the newer releases. These don't show as much about behinde the scenes model making and innovative computer controlled cameras and such.

The only thing I could find was VHS! I suppose I could pull out and dust off the ole VCR...

Thanks for the info,
hal9001-

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I have all of the original Star Wars "Making of" programs on LaserDisc.

I've seen them on TV and VHS. Some are even on Blu-ray.

Never saw any (legitimate) copies on DVD.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You probably won't brother! I don't know of any other source that VHS tapes. I haven't seen the original series on DVD either. I doubt that we ever will in our lifetime as long as Lucas has his way. Unless someone somewhere gets a hold of the original movies, and transfers them digitally in their original form so that they can be restored some day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts