Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I have done the cutting, thinning, etc. I'm well on my way to having mechanical retractable landing gear.

I thinned down the outer edges of the existing landing gear (glued). I cut out the upper grooves of the landing well from the outer edge to allow more space for the landing leg pole to fit. (cut from the edge to the small point were the landing pole plugs in. I thinned the bottom of the landing leg somewhat and attached the outer piece that was included in the kit should you choose in flight mode. It is almost flush! The area where the landing leg hatches are to be placed, I cut all the way down to the floor to allow the ecess of the landing leg to go in when retracted. I modified the leg itself where it goes into the jupiter two (i'll post pics soon). I have resin footpads from an old 16 inch lunar legs kit and replaced the square ones that came with the kit. I'll post more details when i can. But so far, I believe they are going to actually support the kit! I have three of those steel cabled retractable things you use for electronic badges or keys that will provide the force to pull the polls into park. The Motor and strongest guage fishing wire will pull the leg back up into the ship. When reversed the steel cable should provide enough tension to pull the leg back down into park.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds awesome!
Does the interior still fit?!?!?
Steve
(Waiting to be sandblasted from all the nay-sayers- LOL)

I did manual retracting gear on my LM 16 incher 20 years ago, so I know it is indeed possible...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes interior fits fine. The part of the poles that needed to come up more is where the footpad attaches. Plenty of room......
So far, the hinges are the only issue, but I'm sure I'll figure that portion out in a few days.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've not had any trouble with the weight of the ship. I have decided to piano hinge the steps. I used ink pen springs at the foot pad to allow the pad itself to conform to the shape necessary to make it flush with the hull. So far so good.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Toyroy - I have 3 of those retractable things used for keys and name badges. They are loaded coils. They are attached to the top of the landing leg poles mounted right where the poles original hole is. They are steel cabled and when the motor releases the heavy guage fishing wire, then steel cable (coiled) pulls the legs into position.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
...They are attached to the top of the landing leg poles mounted right where the poles original hole is. They are steel cabled and when the motor releases the heavy guage fishing wire, then steel cable (coiled) pulls the legs into position.
If by "poles" you're speaking of the shock struts, don't they need to be pushed, to get the gear into the down position?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It provides an even tension for up and down when motorized. Natural Gravity is fine, but I plan on mine being able to support itself and would not like to take a chance on those struts not being in the desired position when I automate the whole thing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mobius J2 Retractable Gear

I have a silly question and not to put anybody down, but what is the facination with making the gear retractable?

It seems like a whole lot of work.

It's a model not a toy in my mind.

Just wondering out loud.

Andy.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I have a silly question and not to put anybody down, but what is the facination with making the gear retractable?

Just wondering out loud.

Andy.
Different strokes for different folks! I applaud people who can do that sort of gthing-me I just want to build a nice kit and look at it all lit up on my shelf...

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Static or manual gear makes it a display model or 'toy'. WORKING gear makes it a special effects model!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, I'm not the best model builder by far compared to those on this board. Definitely not the perfectionist that some are, but I love me some Lost In Space........I love the special effects models. I hope to have this one at Wonderfest with working landing gear and automatic hatch. Planning a lift off sequence! It's a tall order, but hope to accomplish it in time.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I have 3 of those retractable things used for keys and name badges. They are loaded coils. They are attached to the top of the landing leg poles mounted right where the poles original hole is. They are steel cabled and when the motor releases the heavy guage fishing wire, then steel cable (coiled) pulls the legs into position.
If by "poles" you're speaking of the shock struts, don't they need to be pushed, to get the gear into the down position?
It provides an even tension for up and down when motorized. Natural Gravity is fine, but I plan on mine being able to support itself and would not like to take a chance on those struts not being in the desired position when I automate the whole thing.
I'm just trying to understand how you are getting your gear to lower. Is something pushing down on the poles(shock struts,) or an extension of the gear leg?

·
Registered
303 Posts

Just wondering out loud.

Andy.
sometimes there is a fine line between model and toy.
i think working landing gear ( including being able to support the weight of the J2 ) is the ultimate mod ( short of making it fly ) on this model.

i have a the PL J2 with gear displayed down, i have the Lunar Models version with no gear. So with Mobe-J2 i will have working gear!! it will be awesome!!!

a whole lot of work is what some guys love to do! to me PAINTING is too much work, but i do it the best i can. but i love to plot and plan building some slick mod that takes some creativity and it's kinda like a puzzle that needs solving!
hey! some models have the ultimate lighting system
some have a brilliant paint job
some will have detail mania

it's all up to you what you do with your model and as long as your happy with your results, thats all that matters!

now i know some brain out there is plotting a working hatch!!
now that would be something!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts