121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,720 Posts
Reactions: alpink

·
Registered
74 Posts
A few weeks ago I was watching the old Star Trek series,and got the idea of building the Enterprise 1701. I saw a lot of great builds on this model in HobbyTalk. I am very late on getting on this subject, but I thought that I would post a few build pictures as I moved along. The reason I chose the 22 inch model was because this size worked better for a display in my room. The polar lights 1/350 is a very nice model,and it is very accurate that I seem on a lot of posts. But I really do not have the room. I did buy two kits on ebay. One is the new AMT round two kit, and a older Amt 22 inch kit. After I looked over the two kits,I noticed The new round two model is made from a green plastic, A very nice kit which can be made into the cutway model or a full complete model. The older kit is all the same but it is made from a stiffer gray plastic. I liked this plastic better as it seems stronger. The windrows are molded in the parts,but are not in the right locations,which means you still have to fill in all the windrows and cut new ones. I chose the Round Two secondary hull as it had a smooth surface making easier to mark out the new windrows locations.
The neat thing about the 22 inch is that it is approximately 1/6 scale of the 11 filming miniature if someone wanted to do a diorama with 12 inch action figures, for instance filming the model in front of a blue screen, like the sfx production photos we all know and love.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
That would be a fun diorama to make with the 1/16 figures and 22 inch Enterprise mode.
A person could recapture the 1960s filming scenes,like going back in time. Great idea!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Started to do a little work on the engine nacelles. It looks like a few changes had to be made on these parts also. The rear nacelle mag-flow shielding cowls,(I guess this is what they call them) new ones had to be made because the stock kit parts
did not have the ribs on the outside. also the curve was not right on them. A new part was made,along with a rubber mold to make extra parts. pictures show the new plug to make the mold,and also a picture of the AMT plastic part and my new cowl.

121 - 127 of 127 Posts