After looking at ,the bottom saucer of the amt kit, It did not have the same contour of the bottom saucer of the 11 footer Enterprise. The 11 foot Enterprise had a gentle curve that almost went up to the outer edge of the saucer. The amt saucer had a little sharper curve that flatten on the other edge. I don,t know why amt made this design, but someone said that the 33 inch studio prop model was made like this.I don,t know for sure if this is true or not. To redesign the amt saucer would take a lot of work,but had to be done if it was to look like the 11 footer.. First the 2 bottom saucer halves had to be glued together. Extra .030
plastic strips were glued between the hull tabs. This provided easy assembly of the two halves when gluing them together. I used super glue to cement the halves together. By carefully making sure to up the seam before gluing.
It would be impossible to attach this large of a disk to a lathe. So to build up the outer edge of the saucer, the center of the saucer was found. A small hole was drilled in the saucer center. then a swing arm was made made with the right contour to follow the outside edge of the saucer. Body filler was added to the outer edge of the saucer. The arm was carefully pulled around the saucer to level out the filler to the right contour needed. This worked out better then I thought. A outer edge was now built up a little higher
. A lot of sanding and filling was needed to smooth out the saucer. It toke me all of two days of work of cutting the the saucer with sandpaper to the right shape.
Excellent job on the saucer. I did mine the opposite way: I epoxied on the inside of the bottom saucer and then sanded down the the outside to smooth out the ridge. I like the way you made your contour guide--brilliant