Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

Registered
It's good to see the extra effort that you are putting in to this build. She's going to look awesome when you get done 馃榿
-Jim G.G.

Registered
Great job on that replacement part!

Ironically, since I have a lot of extra time on my hands lately, I recently decided to take a crack at 3D printing. I have a few of the old AMT USS Enterprise kits from the original series that I would revisit. I haven't built one of these in years, and, sadly, without DLM around to purchase accurized parts from any longer, I decided to try learning Blender and make my own replacement accurizing parts.

One of the first attempts is the front sensor/deflector housing, rings and dish printed out in 1/635 scale to replace the inaccurate kit parts. Here are the first two test prints, one fitted on the kit hull, and the other sitting alongside the inaccurate kit part:

It IS possible for an old dog to learn new tricks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Outstanding work! That is a lot better and faster with a 3d printer. I am a to old of a dog to learn the 3d printing, I still have to build everthing the old caveman way,( hammer and chisel) Please keep us posted on your Build. I fine it fascinating. God now I sound like Spock! (Smelling to much body filler today.)

Starship Class
I went to a lot of trouble with a small drill bit cutting out the center section, cutting off the misplaced concentric ring, and then sanding smooth the outside of the piece I cut out and the inside of the deflector housing. I glued the inner piece back in after inserting a circular piece of plastic for the back piece--clear in couple of cases. I still need to come up with the innermost ring but I've got a couple of candidates for that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
When you have to cut out the center ring by hand takes a lot of work! Everything you did really made for a perfect scale piece thats looks like the real thing that is used on the 11 footer. Very nice job! I ready enjoy seeing other peoples craftsmen ship. Post more pictures of your build when you can.

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
This project turned out to take a little longer than I thought,but I wanted to get the model as close to the real movie prop as possible. A few weeks back I added another 1/25 of a length to the main body. it still did not look quit right even that I added 1/25 before to the hull before

Starship Class
Just a related observation: IIRC, the "clamps" on the deflector section are the correct length but the deflector section sits too far inside them until you do as you have done and build up the hull forward of the connecting dorsal.

Front of secondary hull without front censor dish. View attachment 307580

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
Getting the secondary hull a little more done, with the front censor dish mounted. I primed the dish and sanded it to the contour that looked close to the 11 foot enterprise. The dish was made to be removable w
hen the secondary hull would be glued together.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts