Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I use a flat steel plate with masking tape on it to get it flat JB wont stick to the tape, grind the ends to be glued and butt the 2 cars together, after its dry, then I put some tape on the outside off body and more JB on the inside of the cars around wheel wells, the tape makes a good mold, I jb all the indide holes and part of the side windows, tape up the side again and fill it in with bondo, I use a tinning agant so the bondo runs into the shape, again the tape makes a good mold for the sides, I need a little extra bondo and I ruff sand with 100 grit to make the shape, I file out the window size I need. It has some primmer on it but I wont get to work on it for 2 weeks to finish up with some more pics

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
looking nice! i got a question however...why dont remodelers solder/braze the parts together. ive seen it done on diecast before, of course it is can be difficult without a microtorch(luckily i have one) and can be done with normal flux and solder...basically doing the same thing the true body men used to do back in the day via "leading"

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
looking nice! i got a question however...why dont remodelers solder/braze the parts together. ive seen it done on diecast before, of course it is can be difficult without a microtorch(luckily i have one) and can be done with normal flux and solder...basically doing the same thing the true body men used to do back in the day via "leading"
i think the regular solder will not "stick"...and the heat needed for other solders will be too much for the zamack(it will warp or melt)...so i've been told

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
ive seen some videos of it done with a micro torch(flame can be about 1/8in wide or less) and didnt have any warpage...im sure solder will stick to zamac fairly easily if prepped correctly and solder is used correct. when using a flame and solder you can very easily "burn" the solder and it wont stick to anything.. i may try this once i get new lines and my acetylene bottle filled.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
let me know how that turns out...over on HWC there are numerous threads about soldering zamack...mostly with the results i stated above...if you get it to work, please let us know or do a "how to" thread:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tryed solder but never had any luck with it, I even tryed the lead we used way back with no luck. I think the JB is just faster and easy to use for me.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
let me know how that turns out...over on HWC there are numerous threads about soldering zamack...mostly with the results i stated above...if you get it to work, please let us know or do a "how to" thread:thumbsup:
x2..... I like to see a " How too video " as many like myself have failed trying that method.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts