Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of Maisto's Fresh Metal castings are pretty nice, in my opinion, but most of their current wheel styles are ugly. I recently picked up a bunch of Greenlight's wheel packs and decided to try some swaps.

First up is a 1955 Chevy Bel Air. Here's the original...

...and here's the swap. Any thoughts on the size? I was thinking they were too small at first, but maybe it's just the original wheels that were too big. Either way I think it's a huge improvement. The front wheel isn't quite centered, but I think I could fix that with a little adjustment.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think this Dune Buggy came out pretty well. I had to order some brass rods from Amazon to make an axle that was wide enough, though, haha.

Before...

...and after.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the rim style works on this RAM 1500 Rebel, but I think it would look better with a suspension lift. I think I should be able to just drill a new axle hole a little farther down on the base.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a little torn on this Challenger. Here's the original:

And here are the two possibilities I've tried so far. Opinions would be welcome :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This Porsche 356A is the one I'm really struggling with.

I was really wanting these wheels to work, but I think they're just too small. :(

This is the only other option I have that I feel like kinda works, but I still don't think it's quite right.

Any ideas on a better type of wheel I could put on it? Not really picky about where they come from at this point.

·
Administrator
33,040 Posts
Indeed!

The Fuche pattern on the Porsche looks the best but is to small as you note.

I like the black paired 10 spokes over the ys for the SRT.

Have you ever used brass tubing before? You can get a bit more lift on the Rebel that way by glueing it to the base. You also have the added task of snipping the wheel set and either gluing or crimping, but you can also set your track width at the same time.

Your brass rod may also work on the Rebel. I like the black out on the Dune Buggy. That alone will transform a casting look significantly with a matching hub!

The Chevy looks right for a '60s or '70s 15" rim and stance. The white lettering is a nice touch!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, that's a hell of a transformation. I think it was Chris Foose who said "the right wheel can make or break a car design"
He was 100% right on that! Although I think a lot of the time he chooses the wrong wheel... just my opinion though :p

The Fuche pattern on the Porsche looks the best but is to small as you note.
Have you seen anything similar in a larger size on other castings? I wouldn't mind cannibalizing something if I can get it for a decent price.

I like the black paired 10 spokes over the ys for the SRT.
Yeah, I think I'm leaning that way, too. That's how I have it sitting on my desk right now.

Have you ever used brass tubing before? You can get a bit more lift on the Rebel that way by glueing it to the base. You also have the added task of snipping the wheel set and either gluing or crimping, but you can also set your track width at the same time.
The Rebel has enough plastic below the normal axel slot that I think I can drill a new hole for the axel to give it the lift I want. Luckily these wheels just slide on and off the ends of the axels so I won't have to worry about snipping and crimping. I think the biggest challenge with drilling will be getting it straight, which is why I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. If I can get my dad to set up his drill press I think that might be the safest way, even though it's a bit overkill.

This is about what it would look like:

Your brass rod may also work on the Rebel. I like the black out on the Dune Buggy. That alone will transform a casting look significantly with a matching hub!
Thanks, I really like how the buggy turned out.

The Chevy looks right for a '60s or '70s 15" rim and stance. The white lettering is a nice touch!
Thanks! The more I look at it the more I like it.

·
Administrator
33,040 Posts
IIRC there is similar wheel design in the Playart line if you have any of their castings or can find a donor car. I also think one of the Car Culture 911s had Fuche wheels. They were not chrome, but one of those molypens should work on them. The wheels off the 356A might work as well. Dont know what size any of them are though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts