Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed a popular Rc magizine and asked them why they dont have much oval and that i wanna see more in there mag. here is the email i sent:

hey I have a subscription to your Mag and i like it for the most part. the one problem is that your mag seems to go out of the way to not cover oval. i like all types of racing but to me oval is the most fun and id like to read a mag that atleast trys for me in this area. i just read the last issue and in it they had the best offroad truck, buggy, gas truck, moster truck, touring car, and even an 1/8th onroad mugan. yet you couldnt put one pan car in there? why is that? you even said that the 1/8 onroad class is probly the most expensive and least experienced forms of racing yet you put that in your magizine but not a Oval pan car. i have another 6 months on this subscription and i plan on reordering for next year as long as there is more Oval in it.

Joe Ivo

ok i sent them that email and soon after i got this shady reply:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are several reasons.

1. We covered the carpet oval Nats last year and I didn’t receive one email or anything to indicate increased coverage.
  2. The oval community as a whole doesn’t support itself. I understand there is a following, but the majority of the companies don’t even advertise their products to increase awareness of the segment. To me that’s one of the worst things any company could do is rely on a magazine to cover a small class, or support their company. If I was out to sell cars and grow the segment I would advertise. It’s the way things work in this industry
  3. I never receive kits from any of the oval manufacturers to review. While I’m not going to flood the pages with oval stuff, I can’t even get a kit to try and review. Team Associated probably has the biggest sales in the segment yet rarely advertises their oval cars.

I’m sorry we can’t provide the amount of coverage you’d like, but I have to work with what I’m dealt. It cost a lot of money to go to a race and me trying to explain budgeting money to cover more oval when the oval community doesn’t seem to want to support itself (not the racers the manufacturers). Our industry is small but the trends are not always dictated by magazines. If I switched to all oval coverage our magazine would cease to exist fairly quickly.

While I hope that you enjoy the industry and our magazine enough to continue to read I cannot say at this point that we will be increasing the amount of oval coverage. I could be wrong and the oval community may realize that they aren’t doing their part and send me products and let the country know they exist by advertising, but I don’t see that happening. I’ve contacted Custom Works repeatedly about having them send kits and hopefully advertise to stimulate the segment, but I’ve have gotten nothing after about a year.

If you want an example, all the companies listed above from 1/10- to 1/8-scale see the need to advertise monthly and even contact me on a regular basis about new products.

I know this is an overall negative email about what you are asking, but I hope you understand the position I am in. Even 1/5-scale companies are now advertising and sending us kits for review at this point and is probably smaller than all the segments.

--
Derek Buono
Executive Editor, Xtreme RC Cars Magazine
---------------------------------------------------------------------

From what i can see is they dont even wanna put any Oval stuff in because oval doesnt advertise as much. but the way i look at it i think if they would put oval in the mag they would get more advertisement from oval companies. its stupid of them to think otherwise in my opinion.

so what does everyone think about this. is it OUR OWN FAULT for not supporting?

Joe Ivo

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I think I understand now....

"Buy advertising in our mag or we'll ignore you and pretend you don't exist"

and

"Send me free stuff to play with or we'll ignore you and pretend you don't exist"

Do they understand that works BOTH WAYS? -- Cover OVAL or we'll ignore your magazine and pretend YOU don't exist...?

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly! they think we are asking for the whole mag to be oval or somthing. id be happy with one thing a month in it about oval. geesh

·
Registered
528 Posts
I wonder if Protoform will include any type of adds for the new Dodge. Also ... Us oval racers use alot of the same products (batteries, ESC, servo,chargers, ect) as other electric classes do so I think Derick's response was pretty snobby. It's all in the attitude!!!

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Hey guys,
Drop Xtreme RC and get a subscription to RC Driver.

Since I have been getting that mag they have covered both ROAR nats (Tri-clone and Radical Ricks) and some other Oval races as well. Also they reviewed the HD Pro 2 car and also I have seen ads for PRS gears, Custom Works Oval Program, among many others !!!!

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
hey send the very same email to car haction and see what they say? funny stuff... send us money and we will have oval coverage? hmmmmmmmmm money money money! good thread!

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will do kat! lol ill see what they say. but then again maybe the editor is right. its all fault cause we dont support our hobby? lol i think my credit cards would say different though. seeya

joe ivo

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The companies that make offroad cars are HUGE. Associated and Losi. Same with the touring car manufacturers, Associated, Losi, Yokomo, Tamiya, HPI, etc. In general, companies that make oval pan cars are mom and pop type operations (compared to the 'big guys') that concentrate on oval racing. I see AE as the entry level in oval. Once you get into it, you end up buying a Hyperdrive, KSG, KGB, Maverick, Leading Edge, or other chassis from a company that specializes in oval racing. These mom and pop operations don't have the big advertising budgets of the big 2, so most of their advertising is word of mouth (or message board). They just can't afford to pony up the big bucks for full page color ads. In my opinion, magazines should be like newspapers... they should report what happens, and is of interest to their readers, not just the types of racing that advertise in their magazines. I don't remember seeing any ads for R/C 'drifting' parts or cars, but I've seen several articles about it. I can't imagine that is a bigger market than oval racing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I still have issues of mags from 10 years ago that have nothing but oval ads and coverage in them. when the sedan and gas craze dies down, and it will, you'll see the mags start to pay more attention to the oval crowd. We were there at the beginning, and we will be there later on. Like most things in life and buisiness, it all boils down to the almighty dollar.
ROAR is also to blame for this in my opinion. They basically shunned Trinity because of a fued between then ROAR Pres. Tex or Rex whatever, giving them a hassle whenever they sent a product for ROAR approval, and Ernie losing the ROAR Pres election also didnt help. The result? Trinity pulled its oval team from attending ROAR races a few years ago which had a huge part in declining oval race attendence, oval sales, and oval popularity.
Oval racers know more about oval than most of the people at the mags anyway. we know what the best products are, and dont need some flashy color ad to convince us to buy a certain product or tell us how to charge our batteries like a lot of the sedan and off road crowd does, there are a lot more newbies in those forms of racing, and advertising generally doesnt work on oval drivers very well . I have a feeling the Oval company's have figured that out. A large percentage of oval drivers have full or partial sponsorship which also makes big advertising less cost effective.

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
That's right, what comes around goes around! In circles and to the left that is!

·
Registered
868 Posts
They are smoking crack. The oval community realistically is too small for manufacturers to afford their insane (relatively) advertising prices.

and it DOES work both ways. mfg's arent going to advertise in a mag that no customers read, and mag's arent going to cover a segment that no one really reads.

it sux that mags dont car, but its about economics, and in that department sedan / off-road rules.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i agree that r/c driver has the best oval mag out to date so far. even custom works supports it. i have seen a few cars reviewed ,and enjoy the mag very much. we all know why these other mags don't care. it's about the money. thanks r/c driver we appreciate it. :thumbsup:
Paul Huntington
Advance Speedway www.geocities.com/advancespeedway

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Here's a thought:
The "Big Boys" in oval (Hyperdrive, KSG, KGB, MAV, etc) should get together, build their best kick a** car and send it to a selected mag for testing (freebee), surely they can get electronics, etc from those Big Boys (also freebee). Let the mag test it on their dime and publish a teriffic article. Its a win for all party's and the real winner is the (buyers) racers. We may get more attendance at the races!!!!!:thumbsup:
Who knows what it might start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
can't blaim the glossies for covering the areas inwhich the sponsors participate.
can't blaim the oval mfg.s for not buying ads that won't pay out.
the internet seems like a perfect fit. everyone wins.
I don't see a problem here.
I suspect that if the oval mfg.s thought it was important to get more exposure, they could share a page or two of ad space, and get a little coverage each month.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
The answer is... R/C-OVAL.COM

Save your money on subscriptions. Mclin does a great job getting mor information out to oval racers than you'll ever get from a magazine. AND it's all oval coverage!

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
1Loosenut said:
Here's a thought:
The "Big Boys" in oval (Hyperdrive, KSG, KGB, MAV, etc) should get together, build their best kick a** car and send it to a selected mag for testing (freebee)
RC Driver featured the Hyperdrive SSEPro2 about 3 months ago.
So its a start.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
RE: 'Competition Plus':

It is my understanding that Marie Barana passed away, and the family just didn't have the heart to keep it running...

Yes -- I'm that old too.....

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.