Hobbyist Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,254 Posts
I see Dice hasn't sent pics from Chiller yet. I tried to hook up with him while the van was here in Jersey, but alas, he is an elusive little fella.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
The Batman said:
I loved looking at those pics! What fun!

- GJS
I have to agree! It's fun seeing the sites that are important to the folks on the board, as well as seeing local attractions and creative shots. I've been whittling down my choices for locations, but end up always adding more!

Chris

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Roland.....I made the same mistake!

I've been procrastinating on sending the pics too....but now that I've squealed on myself, I guess I'll get on the ball and send them!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Funny you should put it that way, Chris...especially now.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Steve, I finally got the pics dug out and e-mailed. The last email, I even remembered to say who they were from...:eek: Five emails, four pics. I reduced 'em to a size approximately that of the pics on the site, so they ought to download okay. Lemme know if there's any problems.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks Dreamer

Just a heads up, there are still about 8 or 10 people in line to get the Mystery Machine... Should be going to Travis soon. And we'll keep pushing this thing along.

Steve

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Travis,

I told Steve not to send it to me anymore but if you are going to get it, why don't we try to hook up and take a picture with both of us...? I live not too far from you. Just let me know...I was losing hope and interest in this project.
Send me an e-mail with the details.....

Thanks guys!

MMM

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
The very nature of this project makes it long and drawn out... but, by the time this is done, the kit will have been all over the United States and around the world once or twice. It will be a bit of a testament to the Polar Lights community that really was fostered by people like Dave and Lisa. Yeah, sometimes it seems to take forever, but you really can't rush a good thing!

Steve

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
This subject was brought up on another board.

After checking my links, I think this is the only thread left here.
Thought I would give it a bump to make sure it doesn't get deleted in the next pruning.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
The project was abruptly concluded some time ago. It was never sent to me as promised. I don't know all of the circumstances or why some people were left out, but, I'm sure there was some reason behind it.

- GJS

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
The project wasn't abruptly ended. I got the model to as many people as I possibly could. This thing was started sometime in 2000, just before Lisa was fired at Polar Lights. I wasn't even participating in the board at the time. It was a fun project, but somewhere along the way the kit was waylaid. For some reason, the guy that had the kit couldn't get in touch with the next person in the chain and the model sat in a storage shed for a year (or maybe two!)

I got involved in the Tour about two or three years after it started. Someone somewhere was asking about what had ever become of the project. Curiosity got the best of me and I located the model and got the project back on track. The list of participants was reconstructed and every effort was made to get in touch with everyone. A lot of people left the board when Lisa was fired. Some could not be reached, some did not want to participate.

Once the this thing got jumpstarted sometime in 2003, we still had several problems. At one point someone sat on the kit for 6 months and and a few other individuals had to be prodded to keep the kit moving. Instead of just pushing the kit along as we originally did, I had the kit sent back to me at each step. I then contacted the next person to make sure they still wanted to participate and let them know we had to keep the model moving.

Once the Mystery Machine website went up, I started getting flooded with emails from people that wanted to participate. 99% of these people were not part of the original project nor were they even participants at Hobbytalk. Most were total strangers. I wanted to make sure it got to as many of the original Scooby Gang as I could and kept participation limited. Plus, after two years of managing the project and having to badger people to keep the kit moving, I was getting a little tired of coordinating everything. I raised the issue of how to conclude the Tour.

It was pretty well determined that the kit should go home to the Queen. A fitting home if there ever was one. At that point, we still were 8 or 10 months from Wonderfest so I got the model to as many people as humanly possible in that time period. If you look at the list, we actually managed to get the Mystery Machine to about 20 people between the time the model was recovered and the end of the trip at Wonderfest in 2005.

Two or three people didn't get the kit because of the deadline. Several others proved to be impossible to contact. If anyone was overlooked, it certainly was not for a lack of trying. Over the 5 years of the project, the model went to approximately 30 people, despite being lost for over a year. The plastic case was signed by almost everyone involved. I think I actually forgot to sign it myself. It made it to Chiller a couple times. Two or three trips to Wondefest. Plus it went to South Korea, Scandinavia, and Canada a couple times.

There's still a bunch of photos that were never sent to me, or possibly misplaced.

The site is still up there at http://www.culttvman.com/mystery

Hope that clears up at least a few questions.

Steve

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
WOW! talk about memories...If you hit that link and go to Lynnwood there are some 'unknown' names....I'm listed as Fluke I'm right behind the Mystery machine and Godzilla and to my left is Bob Shinolt aka Polar Bear...he use to post here a few years back and came back on as just 'The Bear' (I think?) in front of him you can see the bare bones of my 1/32 Lunar Spindrift on the table. One other unkown is Tony Phillips...he is 'Super Elvis' over at the Club house....you can see one of his award winning super hero dio's in that pic as well. That photo was taken at one of our local Sci-Fi fantasy modeling club meetings ...its twice that size now. Thats Qtan's Worf figure.

Wacky fun.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
TAY666 said:
This subject was brought up on another board.
And that would be me. :wave:
While I was home, I was at 'Da Queen's house (as I'm apt to do) & I was able to take a pic of it in her "Den of Knowledge", as well as get it onto a nice infinity curve & snap some shots of it as well as the bucket. I havn't resized them all yet, but I do plan on making a file in my Photobucket account as well as sending some pics to Steve for the MMT page at his site.

Can anyone remember who built the MM?

81 - 100 of 114 Posts