Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only have I been on a TIE kick but I've also been obsessed recently with making my own lightsaber.

Found a nifty site where they provide a shopping list and how to cut the tubing and put everything together.

http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/

So, if you've made any, please share!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
most are kind of generic. Are those designed for the user to add on parts at a later date?

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
custom sabers, they never have anything in stock. I go to build a saber and I click on check out to get the parts list but something or another is out of stock.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ok. Here is a saber made from plumbing supplies and the head of an old VHS recorder (as well as other junk around my basement). It doesn't light up or anything, but its designed to accept a wooden dowel for a "blade." I'd like to see some of our members more high tech lightsabers!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool! looks almost barbaric with the mace bulb pommel.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Impressive! I like to see built ones, that are not copies of screen used ones. Every Jedi must build their own Lightsabre to complete one's training.

I was thinking when I build mine to put the electronics from a Kenner one, just for fun.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"lightsabre"? Dude, you're from Alabama, not East Wessex or whatever!

spot o' tea, guvna?

Here's one I'm working on. It's in the MHS stage still. and yes, I do see the irony of telling Vaderman about the lack of inventory yet using their site...

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Actually,I prefer hot tea over southern ice tea,guvna.

Your design looks very good. Are you building it out of?

Have you seen the Tales of the Jedi comics? Now there are some unique lightsabres, especially on the cover of the first issue.

When I build another one,since my first in 1977, which I don't have anymore, I will let the Force guide me. In other words, what catches my eye, will be used. I never tried creating a drawing for my projects, I see something, it gets my creativity going.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
664 Posts
Very sleek!
I like the gold parts. They give it some style. I always thought that line in Star Wars that a lightsaber is an "elegant weapon," applied especially to Mace Windu's saber with a touch of gold.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Give Tim some time. He is usually pretty good at getting things back in stock soon. A lot of people have built MHS sabers and are happy with it. Just check out the TCSS and FX-Saber forums.

Scott

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
see, I was told that Graflex flash wands or whatever they're called go for upwards of a grand on the bay but I was able to find a few for less than $10!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Picked up a Graflex on eBay a few years ago (for a whole lot less than a grand, even with the exchange rate :)) and then managed to score three of the head units (just the top part of the flash that I think they used as remote flashes).

Haven't had the heart to perform surgery on the Graflex yet. But I did already have a saber that I'd made from vacuum cleaner tubing... had a slight outward taper and some square cut-outs that made it look a bit less than "just a chromed tube". Hey, whatever works, right?

·
Starship Class
11,936 Posts
I've got an MR Darth Vader light saber that I've converted to the 3W LED unit thanks to the expertise and products offered at: www.thecustomsabershop.com

I received the Vader light saber in exchange for the work I did in converting another MR Darth and an MR Luke Skywalker to LEDs with new blades for a friend. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the pics of the electronics/lighting WIP on those.

I figured out on my friend's sabers exactly how to create an interesting effect: I used the stock clear plastic outer sleeve and reinforced it by (rough-sanded for light diffusion) clear PVC inner pipe. I put the PVC inside the clear plastic sleeve using clear silicone as an adhesive and shock absorber as it fills in the small space. I twisted it as I put it inside to create a "swirling energy" effect that also helps to diffuse the light further.

I have a little bit of that effect on mine but not nearly as effective.

I'm also wanting to build up some more and have a few parts--chrome vacuum cleaner pieces as mentioned by Jim above--and other stuff.

I'm still torn on how original to be yet still come up with something that would make sense and look good within the Star Wars universe.

Clear PVC works well for blades but DO NOT use pvc glue on it as it is a solvent and weakens the blade at the joint where strength is needed the most. I wound up using small screws and super glue. I got lucky on finding the parts that would fit tightly in the Vader tube--more vacuum cleaner parts :D

I'll try to remember to get a few pics of the saber this evening.

·
Starship Class
11,936 Posts
I got the pics but didn't remember to upload them--been a bit busy politicking lately. :(

This is a conversion of the MR Darth Vader lightsaber to include a removable blade that has been reinforced by clear PVC pipe and swirled inside with clear silicon for a "plasma" effect.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts