Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my first car model. The Mach 5. It is the snap together kit.

Was wondering if there is a source for a decal for the large M?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the PL Snap and Kit one. There is only the sticker version with this one (6807) no decal also. :confused: The sticker is horrible, would prefer a decal on this.

falcondesigns wrote
Mask and paint......
Did think of that also, but if I was that good I would not be looking for a decal. Still a newbie at this stuff.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Take some blue painters tape (or wide Tamiya tape if you have it) and trace the M from the sticker onto it with a soft pencil (ink might bleed when you apply the paint) then trim and stick it to the model. Mask any other areas on the model you don't want to be red and spray paint it. Eeezy-peezy.

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
Are you saying to use the clear decal paper to make a stencil of the M?
Yes,you can make a few on a sheet just in case.Cut a stencil of the M,spray a few times on the paper,and clear coat and you have your own decal.To make it brighter spray white first,let dry and spray the red.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
You could just scan the sticker, print it on white Testors decal paper, then apply it to the model as a decal... no big deal there...

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Doesn't scanning reduce the image?

I'm pretty sure if the scan DPI matches the print DPI you will get pretty close to original size... for instance... scan at 600 dpi... clean up digitally, then print at 600 dpi.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
No it doesnt reduce the image. You CAN reduce it, or enlarge it for that matter. I have reduced some 1/32 aircraft decals down to 1/48 in the past.

I use the scan/print method to make new decals for some of my Aurora planes. I have to use the kit decals for those becuause the markings are usually unique, fit the box size, and also have to fit the molded decal shapes on the airplane kit. So I scan the yellowed, cracked, old kit decals, clean them up in Paint Shop or Gimp, and reprint them. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I too need a decal of the big M....have been dreading trying to make my own.....However after reading this i think I'll have a go at it.thanks all!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The one thing to watch is that sometimes you get a size shift not due to scanning the image, but due to incompatabilities between programs. I.E. moving a file from Canoscan to Gimp to Paint Shop and then printing via Windows... so check by printing it on plain paper first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts