Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a M2 Apache with the Suburban Carrier roof, and the utility body from the Studebaker. I stripped it and painted it all automotive white. The siren and Indian Pumps in the back bed are from last years Hallmark ornament. The engine for the pump is a resin cast generator from an old Corgi ladder truck. The extinguishers and axe are Code 3 items. I made a set of duals by milling out all of the detail on a set of Apache wheels. I made a hubcap out of styrene. I drilled out the axle hole a bit, and just glued the outers to the hub of the inners. Pretty simple conversion. I may chage out the siren and put a roof light on later.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Awesome work! It's the ability to easily customize the M2 models and the ingenuity of the people who collect and enjoy them that I love :)

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
You have to sell this idea to Castline. My gosh, to think of the many applications just for this one casting. Talk about getting your money's worth out of an investment!
Sean, please give Rich's creation serious consideration. Rich, your talents amaze!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
WoW!

Stellar work as allways Mr. Quarters!!!!

Your decals and the added parts really make it!
Sean should see this.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Nice work. Notice how much better the utility body looks when it's not dragging on the ground. I switched the utility body to the Ford chassis but I'm glad I can't find my camera because mine looks amateurish compared to this.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
another fantastic custom rich.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
i cant wait to get back into customs again. ive got a few m2 that didnt get finished from last year.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Great work and it looks very realistic and fantastic. I agree that M2 should look at this model. I know I would buy it and all variations of it for my collection.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Nice work. Notice how much better the utility body looks when it's not dragging on the ground. I switched the utility body to the Ford chassis but I'm glad I can't find my camera because mine looks amateurish compared to this.
You're camera is at the beach house, remember? ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey Fellas, I'm well aware of Rich's custom. In fact he's helped me behind the scenes on a couple of projects that you should be seeing in the near future. Unfortunately this extended 4X4 chassis for the service body is not being worked on currently. The new 1958-59 Chevy and GMC truck casting has two different chassis; 1) stock 2wd 2) stock 4X4. These are two separate molds that add greatly to the overall cost of the casting. Also we needed to produce a third extended wheelbase chassis for the tow truck body, stake bed body, and the service bed. To produce Rich's custom, we would have to produce a 4th chassis. It's not totally out of the question but we do need to recoup some tooling cost.

Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Sean, as a diecast collector, I appreciate your attentiveness and feedback. Your post is very informative and I think it puts things in perspective with regard to costs. I had read some time ago on this board that a new tooling costs tens of thousands of dollars - going from design, manufacture, and then actual production. I can understand that Castline does not want to over extend itself - that's a wise business decision. But you can't blame us rabid collectors for our enthusiasm.:D You and your crew put out such a great product and you keep the excitement in this hobby! :thumbsup:
BTW, looking forward to that '58 Bonneville coming to market! :cool:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sean, as a diecast collector, I appreciate your attentiveness and feedback. Your post is very informative and I think it puts things in perspective with regard to costs. I had read some time ago on this board that a new tooling costs tens of thousands of dollars - going from design, manufacture, and then actual production. I can understand that Castline does not want to over extend itself - that's a wise business decision. But you can't blame us rabid collectors for our enthusiasm.:D You and your crew put out such a great product and you keep the excitement in this hobby! :thumbsup:
BTW, looking forward to that '58 Bonneville coming to market! :cool:
DadsCoronet, I'm a car guy and a collector. Believe me, I want to do everything. But unfortunately we are a business and need to make money to pay the bills. So some decisions have to be made. But that doesn't mean we won't see something in the future. Plus you guys haven't seen everything that this casting can do just yet.

Thanks, Sean

P.S. I keep forgetting to add Rich's site info. If you haven't already been to http://www.inquarters.com/ you need to go.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You're camera is at the beach house, remember? ;)
Andy; I thought it was but no cigar. A thorough search is underway. Meanwhile, I've driven 150 miles in two days looking for these Apaches. As I said before, My "set" included two Dodges and two Studebakers and no Chevy or Ford. Anybody need a Dodge or Stude????

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
4got to mention Mr. Quarters, that I'm real impressed with the dually aspect of your custom. I hope M2 can do some light duty duallys somehow.

And Sean, we all realy appreciate your responce and your presence here greatly! Great to have ya around.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
AWESOME work! :thumbsup:

Here's another Firebrush Truck.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Awesome work, both Quarters and Stutz.

It's so nice to have a casting such as this, that is so versatile in the creation of so many real world working vehicles which may be cost prohibitive for M2 to make themselves, but customizers can go wild. And and have a ball doing it. A great custom starts with a great casting, and this is it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts