Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me everyone what do you feel about the religion towards the " mint on mint card " that a lot of people seem hung up on. I've lost some trades in the past because it had to be M.O.M.C.Drives me crazy. Is it because you feel it will keep its price, or thats just the way you want your collection"pristene" or people just won't trade with you if it isn't in that condition. Myself, I do want it that way, sometimes ( shape of the car is my first priority) but it seems with JL that even out of the box it's a crap shoot, never mind after there're on the pegs. Maybe it started with brand X, couldn't have, because it seems even if the card and blister on a redline are bad they still go for a good dollar. :lol:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
When I first started collecting around 1998, I didn't care about card condition at all. If I found a car I didn't have, I bought it. Soon thereafter, I figured if I was going to get a car, and I was keeping them in the package, I would at least try and get one on as good a card as possible. Now, I could care less, anything I keep nowadays will lose it's cardboard and plastic cage.

One thing though, I'm glad I wasn't particular about one certain Hot Wheel I picked up at a grocery store, for $1.37 including tax. It was a #714 Talbot Lago, which I found out a year later was very valuable. I kept it for a long time but when I downsized a while back it was sold, for $300! Glad I wasn't particular about the cardboard, eh?

I collect CARS, not cardboard!

·
Banned
8,979 Posts
Ya, sometimes card condition matters. Like, as long as its not grossly creased to the point that the whole thing is unflattering to the car itself. Will it help in the overall price and availability of the item, -somewhat but also no. They will always be there. Probably the real question would be, Would you pass on a series 1 FL Ecto that has a creased but small veined card that has a BIN of say $30 ? I'll bet someone will snag it just as quick as its launched -jmho

·
Registered
382 Posts
Same thing goes on with 1:1 hot-rods. Some guys trailer them and keep them in the garage. Some guys use them for daily riders.
Same thing goes on with houses! My wife thinks about "resale value" when we are considering renovations on the house. I figure I'm living in the house and paying the mortgage, so I want to redo the house the way I like it.
The most expensive toy car I've bought, only about $50, is sitting in a jammer with the others. ;)
As Racer Joe mentioned above, the high demand cars will retain their value. But face it, most of what we buy is because we like the way they look. Odds are, they will still be selling for very little more than what we paid for them years from now, because a large collector base still thinks that "collectibles" are an investment.
Everybody treated the brand X redlines like toys............pounded them with hammers and blew them up with firecrackers when they were kids. That's why good condition survivors demand such a high price.

R

·
0 Posts
SOme people are really into their MOMC.... I have seen descriptions thay specify a pinprick on the face of the card and a small white spot in the upper left corner.

I have opened a lot of JL inners and there are just as many cards with a bent corner as there are without. As many of these cars as will be kept carded, there really will never be any great value anyway... a couple of hundred bucks and that's it. Not enought to fret and worry if the card is "perfect" to me anyway... open em up and enjoy them... what good are they in a box in the basement???

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have made myself sick in the past because I missed a ding in a card that I didn't tell someone about, or the card got that weird curl to it from where I had it stored.

I made a trade with someone a few months ago and after all was out and mailed I received an e-mail from him saying he was so sorry. You see, he had dropped the package and the card was all bent. He said he would understand if I didn't want to go through with the trade. I thought it was funny because honestly the it's not the card I care for. Now, if the car had been damaged then....

Then there was that time the cashier at Walmart asked me if I wanted to bag my own cars because she didn't want another one of "you guys" yelling at her again!!!

I'll respect it but I can't say I will really understand the fuss.

Phil.

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
it seems really simple to me. i never thought i would ever collect a set of the 202-04 muscle car white lightnings a few years ago but as it happened i came to a point where i decieded to. i figured i might as well get a "nice set",,,of course i knew i would have to pay alot for them whether they were loose, in package or in a mint package. i like to call my set "dead mint",,,,and my set are all numbered below 016,,,,,,i dont know why this means something to me and others but heck,,,, i dont know everything, it just seems that way! :lol:

·
Registered
223 Posts
MOMC is something I always prefer, if it is available and the cost difference is reasonable.

However, I don't really collect based on MOMC criteria. I once bought a WL on ePay for about $18.00 The seller was honest and listed the package-related defects, i.e., creased upper right corner, dented bubble, etc. Would I have preferred it MOMC, if available? You bet. The real question is how much more would I have been willing to pay(?) . Not much in this case. I really lok for an un-damaged vehicle in a package that is in very good condition. Minor creasing, very presentable.

·
Banned
8,979 Posts
whitese said:
Then there was that time the cashier at Walmart asked me if I wanted to bag my own cars because she didn't want another one of "you guys" yelling at her again!!!
Thats funny, one of the few times that I've been lucky to found a WL on the pegs -I would, hold the car in my hand and ask the cashier to scan it that way :lol: she looked at me kinda weird and said okay. Its the weird look I remember the most about that WL. :lol:

·
Registered
840 Posts
How about the Pony Power 5 packs? If I put together all five WL's (mint) and place them back in a mint box, are they considered MOMC or MIMB?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I collect the car, not the package or box they come in !! when you purchase the car at retail, you pay the same weither the card is mint, near mint or just plain trashed, so why should it make all that much differance when you trade or even resell it, If the car is mint, in the BP or not, then the price sould be the same !!
Now I relize it don't work that way, but it should ! I have picked up a lot of cool cars loose because the card collector wont buy them, works for me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
robmcin said:
SOme people are really into their MOMC.... I have seen descriptions thay specify a pinprick on the face of the card and a small white spot in the upper left corner.

I have opened a lot of JL inners and there are just as many cards with a bent corner as there are without. As many of these cars as will be kept carded, there really will never be any great value anyway... a couple of hundred bucks and that's it. Not enought to fret and worry if the card is "perfect" to me anyway... open em up and enjoy them... what good are they in a box in the basement???
I have diecast MOMC stored in boxes.
I have JL diecast MOMC stored in protecto-packs.
I have loose diecast. And lots of loose JL diecast.
Vehicles I really like often get liberated. Sometimes in the parking lot before I even put the keys in the ignition to start my car.
I am sure everyone has different opinions on this subject.
I collect JL because I happen to like them.
I keep some JL diecast MOMC in protectpacks because other collectors only want them MINT, no dings, nothing.
I have and do trade some of my diecast.
I traded a bunch of THs for some JL that I didn't have.
A mistake; no! I got what I wanted and he got what he wanted.
We agreed on the trade and it was made.
I seriously doubt that the overall value of most diecast other than WLs and THs will increase very much in the next several years. Especially for most diecast produced since 2000. In many cases you can't sell or trade common diecast. For many people: if it isn't a WL or TH, they simply are not interested in it.
Remember to collect for the enjoyment and not the perceived monetary gain.
I have a lot of diecast that I would not trade or sell. Period.
They are mine and I enjoy them. Especially loose.
I have about 30 loose JL sitting around my computer on my work-centre.
Some are permanent fixtures. Others get changed from tome to time.
That is what collecting is all about. Enjoyment IMHO.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I never understood why some people place such a high value on some of these toys. I guess, each to his own. The money I've spent over the years for both slotcars, H.O. trains, models and diecast would probably only add up to only a 4-5 thousand bucks. Not too bad for over 15 years of collecting and many, many hours of entertainment. You can spend well over a few hundred bucks a year just for internet service and/or cable TV. I love 1:1 cars and I really like the miniature cars, especially those that I can actually run around the track.

I could sell off most of my toys for very reasonable prices and recover at least a few thousand dollars. I still will have had the years of use and enjoyement from it all. I only keep some stuff MOC because it isn't at the top of my keeper list and I might be able to trade or sell some of it for something else.

I love the slots and trains the best. I can actually build them, run them, tear them down, re configure them, ect... Those that I can find that are highly sought after by others will probably be sold or traded for something that I won't mind actually playing with. That's where the fun is. Actually playing with them. Decorating is pretty much all the diecast is useful for.

No offense to diecast collectors, I collect some diecast too. This is just my point of view.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
I figure if I'm going to shell out good money on E Bay, I'd at least like to get one in as good a shape as possible, when possible, and that the seller at least disclose any packaging defects ... but it's not "life or death" to me.

My favorite one though, is: "comes from a non-smoking home"!!!! LOL. Wouldn't want a card that smokes, would you??? :tongue:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts