Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, opinions here. I'm working on developing some long wheelbase NASCAR bodies, essentially for the Tyco cars with the pan style chassis but easily adopted to any car with a one and 13/16th inch wheelbase. These are built up from diecasts but some very serious reworking of the width is being done for them to work on slot cars.

So far I've gotten the '06 Taurus short track car (no roof flaps) done, and it looks good except for the rear bumper still needs work. I've also got the '07 Monte Carlo done (with flaps) and it looks nearly perfect, still working on the front and rear windows. I also have on my workbench the '06 Dodge Charger R/T and a Ford Fusion, hopefully those may be done in a week.

I was looking at the Toyota for NASCAR, I have a second Monte Carlo body I may try to convert to being a Camry. I've been looking at a lot of pictures, some of the test footage on the Speed Channel, and the roofline and windows look very similar. The front body clip seems to be the real difference, and even there the changes are slight. But before I start shaving I need to see what you NASCAR guys think.

Yeah, I know the old argument that all NASCAR cars are the same, but look at the difference between the M/C and Carmy, can one body actually pass for both cars or should I just scrap the Camry idea and just do the M/C? Also, is engraved details like roof and cowl flaps, spoiler supports and window supports a good idea or overkill? Lastly, do any of you guys have a NASCAR program in HO scale? As always, input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably bare, in clear of course. The Taurus, Monte Carlo and Charger molds are done, they show some promise but they will only work on LWB cars. So that means their use is limited. I'll actually sell/trade the molds I made to someone who want's to market a vacuformed car, at this point my guys have changed their minds about wanting to use them.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I got a couple of e-mails about these, let me see if I can maybe clear some things up.

I have an '06 NASCAR Monte Carlo, Taurus and Charger. All are based on 1:64th scale diecasts, they have been stripped of their interiors, the wheelwells have been filled with sheet plastic and they have had bases built up to allow them to be vacuformed. The tops were filled with expoy to prevent the windows from collapsing during the process of being vaccumed. They will fit the Tyco 440X2 pan chassis using the long wheelbase holes, possibly the Tomy cars as well but I don't have one to be sure.

I'm not planning on producing anymore bodies with these molds, and they do work well with my backwoods redneck vacuformer pretty well. The post mentioned that I was willing to trade, parts for parts, if anyone was interested. I'm not looking to sell them since I don't own the copyright to the style of the car, nor am I licensed to make commercial replicas. But...if your guys want a pretty accurate NASCAR lexan body, this could be the molds for you. And I'm willing to trade your tired, your poor, your huddled used cars or parts yearing to be free....well, at least to be traded.

E-mail me if you're interested...please, US folks only, it costs too much to send stuff to the Old World. Hope that clears that up. And um...mods? If this is the wrong place, sorry, not sure if it was ok here since the string started here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts