Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scanned the forums trying to locate the size of the inner deck ring for my Lunar Models 16.5 Jupiter 2.
I am scratch building the interiors and would like to know how big to make the tan floor around the Astrogator.
I have had the model since the 90's and have worked on it off & on since then.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Resource...

Thanks Starseeker !
It's all trial & error work for me, I'm an amature modeler of the worst kind.
I have rebuilt the legs 4 times over 20 years, never get the to the way I want.
This time NO LEGS, going for "IN Flight" mode this time...:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Punchcard, do you plan on having the top hull removable? If so you can eyeball it by checking out the images from stills or vids of the interior and maybe compromise it with the Moebius's version. I have built a number of the Lunar Jupiters and if the hull is sealed then it may not be that critical since the view from the front viewport is slightly obscured. Further the impressed ring on the vacuformed floor that comes with the interior is okay in my opinion.
I'll post some images for you shortly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Apparently we are working on the same Lunar Jupiter Punchcard. I believe you got an old 16 inch version with the early edition fusion core and landing gear.I'm putting my old one together as you are, without landing gear and with the old vacuformed interior just because it is different.Like I said, I've built quite a few and this is a nice diversion from the norm.
Currently this is the stage I'm at due to other build ups.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Further with regards to the Lunar Jupiter's landing gear, you have the first version of the landing gear.Lunar came out with a few different versions that were much better especially for the 2 foot Jupiter of which I have done 3.But they once did a solid resin gear set that I employed for this 18 inch resin Jupiter that was given to me.It was devoid of a few important parts namely the gear and fusion core.I took a spare Moebius fusion core the solid gear from Lunar, a Plastruct dome, resin figures from Crows Nest, light kit from Bakatronics and spare scrap plastic to make it presentable.The dome part even spins using a small motor.It is so heavy that you can see the added support on the fusion core to insure it doesn't come crashing down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I scanned the forums trying to locate the size of the inner deck ring for my Lunar Models 16.5 Jupiter 2.
I am scratch building the interiors and would like to know how big to make the tan floor around the Astrogator.
I have had the model since the 90's and have worked on it off & on since then.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:
if its any help.. the floor radius of the moebius J2 inner floor ring is 78mm (3 1/16") with the overall hull radius being 227mm (8 15/16")
sorry, will have to leave the math to you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Moving Right Along....

Thanks for all the input, I've now have the dimensions I need.

Now I am trying to find a replacement dome for the top of my J2.
The one I had, was lost somewhere when I moved 3 years ago. :crying:
I have tried vacuuming a new one, but it is a disaster. I just have a trash can full of mistakes. :surprise:
I have scoured northeastern Ohio for anything close to a match but no luck. :frown2:
Is there anyone who has an extra 1 1/2 dome ? :grin2:
Thanks, :thumbsup:
Don....

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the 15 1/2 Lunar models J2. I scratch built the interior with lights. I did it in the 90's. It's not as good as I would I liked but I used the drawing from books and countless VCR hrs.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Thanks for all the input, I've now have the dimensions I need.

Now I am trying to find a replacement dome for the top of my J2.
The one I had, was lost somewhere when I moved 3 years ago. :crying:
I have tried vacuuming a new one, but it is a disaster. I just have a trash can full of mistakes. :surprise:
I have scoured northeastern Ohio for anything close to a match but no luck. :frown2:
Is there anyone who has an extra 1 1/2 dome ? :grin2:
Thanks, :thumbsup:
Don....
Plastruct Perhaps? I think they had the 4-5 "diameter bubbles I'm using on my 4 foot job.

http://plastruct.com/product-category/tubing-fittings/hemi-domes/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bubbles Galore

I found my domes at a site online (CraftOutlet.com) that sells 40mm clear plastic fillable ornaments.
The work just right for the top dome & astrogator inside.
I paid 3 bucks and 6 bucks shipping for 12 bubbles (24 domes).

I'll try to post some pictures next time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Ah, the old Lunar J2....!

I have one the old 16" kits that was strarted when I got it used, as well as the interior upper deck (unbuilt).

I had great plans.... just never got to it or realized that model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I finally got to assembling my old 16 inch Lunar Models Jupiter 2. I did also assemble the vacuformed interior and installed it in a sealed hull. The hull was thin but went together nicely. I used a chase light sequence for the fusion core that wasn't quite accurate but gave a nice impression of it in action. I also used warm white and a red LED to illuminate the interior. The Space Pod hatch held the 9 volt battery and switch. I left the solid piece landing gear off because I wanted it to be in flight mode, however I did use these landing gear for a resin Jupiter 2 model that I also completed. This model just took some time and that special ingredient, "patience". I went together nicely and is a cool piece.
Here is a link to my Flickr account to check the final results of it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157686353027256

1 - 14 of 14 Posts