Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By far the best car at this morning's Cars & Coffee show and it deserves its own thread.

Detail over headlight:

View of cruise control unit and brake booster:

con't...

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Trunk handle detail:

Note Highway Hi Fi record player:

Don't see one of these every day:

con't...

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The guy who owns this has an amazing collection of cars; many are big American iron like this.

:wave:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Good gravy, there are so many fine little details on that car! Not to meantion many over-the-top details...that grill and headlight area is just too much on the '59s!
The dash is just dreamy..."juke box drive" push button trans.
Thanks a lot for the amazing pix!!! :wave:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Frame off resto and it shows BIG time.
Even the undercarrage is cleaner than the outside of my '71!
You can tell this dude spent many tens of thousands of dollars. Holy $ummollian$!!!

Touch Tuner "transistor" radio???
I think he is mistaken. I believe most car radios were tube-fired up until about 1964-ish?

'59 Imps weren't my most favorite year ever, I thought the rather large space left by the little "hoods" above the headlights was a little much, but otherwize, it looks stellar.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Touch Tuner "transistor" radio???
I think he is mistaken. I believe most car radios were tube-fired up until about 1964-ish?
Dave, you got my devious, yet inquiring mind going on this one. I thought the same thing that you did until I began reading. After a couple of hours of reading on a hot day I found the following...

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stat...ial_Owners_Manual/1956 Imperial Manual-13.jpg

Listed in the Imperial owners' manual for 1956 is: MODEL 914HR transistor electro touch-tuner radio

I was sure surprised.

I'm heading to the fridge now for a nice cold bottle of water...

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Wuh???
Sure is odd and interesting info Big B. :thumbsup:
Didn't know they had transistorized anything back then!

Could be wrong, but I thought other MoPar models had tube fire rigs up till the early-mid sixties. (?) Certainly other automakers had tubes then.

I should know this stuff. Suh'm I gots to research.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I also found that the '57 "Vette had a Delco transistor radio in it too which was documented in the sales brochure for '57. Go figure. I had started that thread with links to several other resources, but as I was re-reading what I wrote we had a brownout, the internet crashed and I lost it all. Most of the period Chryslers and Imperials has tube radios. The transistor radio option in the Imperial Crown was made by Philco (Ford's electronic division.

Some interesting stuff - at least to you and me...

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Absolutely!

Love to know the last year for tubes in every car US and Euro.
The Becker units in old Benz's were really sharp looking with the white push buttons.

YEP....we are car dorks through and through! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Condition wise, I wouldn't expect anything less of a full frame off restoration, including the complete lack of patina. Stylistically, the car is amazing. I really like the padded steering wheel with knobby handles on either side... Wish there were more of these around, because they sure are a sight for sore eyes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts