Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THANKS to 94SS I attempted to lower one of my Scouts! I used the wheels/tires that came with the Scout. I really like the end result!

Compared to the original, the lowered Scout DOES look MUCH better!

One Scout done, at least 2 more to go! :thumbsup:
Thanks again 94SS for your inspiration and help with this project! It was fun!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cut off the plastic axle housing from the rest of the lift assembly. I then sanded flat the vehicle base where the axles are to be glued, and then the top of axle housing, then glued it to the vehicle base. I will post a few pix of the work so you can see a bit better what I did. It took some time with the sanding but the results turned out nicely! :thumbsup: Also, thanks guys, for your comments!

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Good job.
Just like Goldielocks and the Three Bears. It's a nice in-between from the jacked up version and this version, which I think is too low.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good job.
Just like Goldielocks and the Three Bears. It's a nice in-between from the jacked up version and this version, which I think is too low.

Not necessarily...my '80 Scout with stock wheels looked much like the Scout in your photo...pretty much what you'd see at the IH dealerships.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Not necessarily...my '80 Scout with stock wheels looked much like the Scout in your photo...pretty much what you'd see at the IH dealerships.
I think primarily the profile of the rolling stock that JL used is too low. At stock height they make the truck look like the shocks are bad. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I refuse to buy this casting all jacked up. JL did a great job on the casting, but why they think we all want this too-high lift is beyond me. Your custom looks soooo perfect. If JL would change the height of the Scout casting to match your custom, I would already have bought this casting in every scheme.

JL just does not want my money.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
First of all, I want to thank you all for your comments! :thumbsup:
Now, as promised, is a short "how to" on what it took to lower the JL Scout. Having owned two real Scouts, it will always be on the top of my list of all time favorite vehicles! The project is fairly simple, just a bit time consuming with the cutting and filing...but I'm very pleased with the results.

First, the "lift kit", with a little coaxing, snaps away from the Scout's base. Then, with a sharp exacto blade, carefully cut away the axle assemblies from the "lift kit".

Next, using a file, file flat the vehicle base at the wheel well areas as well as the top of the axle assemblies.

Next, glue the (flat) top of the axle to the (flat) part of the base, checking centering and alignment at the wheel well area. Do NOT use super glue for this, as I first did. It bonds FAST and my axle was a bit off, so I had to chisel the axle from the base---what a pain! Use something like a model glue for plastics that has a slower setting time allowing for final positioning of the axle!

The last step is optional...after cutting away the axle from the lift, it leaves little white "nubs". Just touch up these nubs with some flat black paint! And now you have a nice lowered Scout, and as DadsCoronet pointed out, still has plenty of ground clearance! BTW...the tires are rubber and seperate from the rims, so you can paint the rims any color you choose. That will be done on my next Scout!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts